Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Random question of the day

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #18752 by porthawk
Earlier today, my friend Paul asked me if, assuming I could only choose one, would I rather watch Game 7 of, say, this year's NBA Finals or a regular season KU game (non-conference in Nov or Dec). He knows I'm a die-hard KU fan, but he also knows I'm huge basketball fan in general, i.e. I watch college, pro and even high school ball. I told him that for me, it's a tough decision, but I (and him) was curious what the board would have to say. So that's my question of the day -- would you choose to watch game 7 of this year's NBA Finals or a regular season, non-conference KU game?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 11 months ago #18754 by sasnak
KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #18756 by Wheatstate Gal
Ditto that, my sister!

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
5 years 11 months ago #18757 by jaythawk1
Great question! I've done Kansas City Kings, Seattle Supersonics and OKC Thunder...but give me the KU game...maybe the Michigan State game!

RCJH!

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost

More
5 years 11 months ago #18758 by Bayhawk
Port! You and your friend Paul need to step away from the bong, put on one of your numerous saved DVR KU games, (I've watched the Puke game at least a dozen times -- It never gets old and we win at the end every time!!) and wait for the pizza guy. :P

Meanwhile, thanks for all you 24 hour news cycle posts keeping the faithful off-season lurkers "in the know." ;)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal, jaythawk1

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #18759 by Wheatstate Gal
Ah, my brother!!!! U always brighten my day with your sense of humor and comments!

Step away, indeed! LOL!

Ditto to Port.....thanks for ALWAYS BOLO for things KU, and some pretty darned interesting other reads, too!

More
5 years 11 months ago #18760 by murphyslaw
Hmm. Tough decision. It will take some time to decide. (NOT!) KU game every time!!!!

• porthawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #18765 by porthawk
jaythawk1, you wrote:

I've done Kansas City Kings, Seattle Supersonics and OKC Thunder...but give me the KU game...maybe the Michigan State game!

Just wanted to clarify what you meant by mentioning the above teams.

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
5 years 11 months ago #18768 by jaythawk1
Of the basketball experiences I've personally experienced...a KU game over a pro game. With with the fieldhouse full and rocken' would be preferred.

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost

More
5 years 11 months ago #18769 by Illhawk
Comparing the Oregon State game in KC a couple Decembers back to Labron v several hall of famers, I go with the later.

Same with a fall semester tuneup against a directional or hyphenated school. ( I often don't watch those on ESPN3 and hesitate to travel mid-week to attend.)

Once the Big XII starts the streak kicks in and we have a different deal . A conference game in Allen whether in the dead of winter or during the late February thaw is the best sports venue on this planet.

More
5 years 11 months ago #18773 by CorpusJayhawk
Port, you know I love you man, but seriously. This would be a better question. If you had a choice to attend a Jayhawk game in AFH or you got an all expenses paid trip plu game tickets to Game 7 of the NBA finals, which would you choose. Now in all honesty. That would be a tough decision. But just which game all other things equal? Dude, ROCK CHALK JAYAHWK!!! But in all fairness, even though I live in Loud City (Oklahoma City) and the Thunder are loved here, I am not much of an NBA fan. While the athleticism and talent is mind-bogglingly good, the game is not nearly as exciting as college basketball. And even though I live in Sooner Country where college football is a 365 day a year obsession, I still am Luke warm on college football because in a typical 3 hour game there is only 11 minutes of actual action. It does not hold my attention. ALthough I do watch the Jayhawks if they are on. That usually just makes me mad. Not only is the record pathetic but they look incompetent. Oops, I am rambling. Sorry.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• porthawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #18774 by porthawk
Illhawk (and, I guess, everyone), the choice would be under the assumption that it's watching the games on TV (not at their respective venues) and you can't DVR either game to watch at a later time. That's how I see it in my hypothetical. :)

Corpus, it's interesting as this is a tough question for me. You know I'm a Jayhawk through and through, but the stakes of a game 7 combined with my love of basketball in general, AND not having AFH as an option, make it tough call. If KU was playing that Nov/Dec game in against UK, Duke or a top tier school, I'd go with the KU game. But if it was a directional school, I'd probably go with Game 7.
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by porthawk.

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #18775 by jaythawk1
Guess I missed the question...I always jumped to some conclusion that wasn't necessarily germane to the question, when I took essay exams...in light of your clarification to the question...my simple response is KU game.

Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by jaythawk1.

More
5 years 11 months ago #18776 by CorpusJayhawk
Got it Port. If it is a TV game I still go with the Jayhawks but only because I I have minimal interest in the NBA

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• porthawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #18778 by porthawk
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. And some of you even found in a way to work in some kinds words for yours truly (I'm lookin' at you Bay and Wheatie :)) Not necessary at all, but always appreciated. As HE says, it's a labor of love and I enjoyed sharing with the collective board!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, Bayhawk