Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Vick pulled out of the NBA draft, still eligible

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 11 months ago #18748 by HawkErrant
Just learned about this while reading the AFH forum on JayhawkSlant.

Mama Vick insists LV never hired an agent, and won’t be playing overseas. She reportedly has said all other options are being looked at.

I would be amazed to see him back at KU. Still, can you imagine him coming back and really buckling down to make the most of his natural ability and further develop his skill set? And maybe even provide some senior leadership, passing along the lessons learned from his experience at KU and these past few months?

There is still that last open scholarship, so that is not an issue. But most folks seem to agree that the parting of the ways was mutual between Self and Vick, so there is that against his return.

But if Self would take him back, that would give KU that extra outside shooter Self was hoping to have next year.

If Vick wanted to play his last year in college, he’d have to come back to KU for his 4th year, or else sit out a year at another D1 school, unless he opted for D2 or the NAIA.

And there is still the possibility of his getting into the G League as well.

I just don’t think he’ll come back, but hey, I have no real insight here, just voicing my impression. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Wish him luck no matter where he lands.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk, murphyslaw, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 11 months ago #18751 by porthawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
5 years 11 months ago #18753 by DrJHawker
It's a very interesting development. My guess is that Vick will end up in the G-League. Sitting out a year at another school doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Yet, I wouldn't be shocked (if he and his mom have the humility) to see him back in Lawrence. If Vick played at his highest level (which we saw at the beginning and end of last year's season), he would be a huge addition and certainly be in the rotation. With the new kids, his starting spot would by no means be guaranteed but certainly possible. We badly need some more 3-point shooting and Vick would become our best option there.

I for one, hope he returns. I'd love to hear some other opinions from this insightful board.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #18755 by Wheatstate Gal
Hi DrJH. I’m not seen as an insightful contributor, but I’ll give you my 2 cents.

I’m my long life, I’ve learned to eat crow. AND I’ve had more than one helping. I’m not sure Vick is capable of that. He pouted and in my opinion acted the brat much of the season. There’s lots of trash talk w/o cause during the heat of battle and he’ll get a LOT that he can’t make the League cut.

As much as I’d love to see a nose to the grindstone, lock down D, step back and drain a 3 “Killer Vick” in crimson and blue, I don’t think he’s probably capable of that emotionally. I’m not sure he can convince HCBS that he respects that coach is boss....he doesn’t get paid millions AND log a string of league titles just because he’s as cute as a button!

So I think u r correct....may Vick Have a nice career somewhere.......

On the other hand, I think Dok will be a freaking monster. He wants it and will work to get himself a good paying yeoman’s career in the League.

Rock chalk!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 11 months ago #18761 by HawkErrant

porthawk wrote: www2.kusports.com/news/2018/jun/01/forme...lls-name-nba-draft-/

Thanks, porthawk! I obviously missed that one!:whistle: :pinch:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 11 months ago #18762 by porthawk
Ya know, HE, I don't think you did. I think it went up on the LJW site after you made your post. And I say that having looked at the LJW site a few times yesterday.

More
5 years 11 months ago #18763 by DrJHawker
Thanks for your thoughts WSG. I agree about Dok. From all I've read and seen of the older Lawson - he and Dok should be an extraordinary combo. Not sure what I think about Vick. We should be very good with or without him. Yet, it seems to me we may end up being his best option and he would likely be the best option for us on the open scholarship.

Crow isn't so bad with the right mental seasoning. I should know, I've eaten plenty.

More
5 years 11 months ago #18764 by AZhawk87
I don't have strong feelings either way about his return, but my gut says Vick left under not so positive relationships with Self. Seemed like both were more than ready for him to leave.

I believe if he comes back he won't be very excited about that result, and wouldn't be the best teammate. I also believe he will be a problem if he loses playing time to younger players. I just don't see him, coming back with tail between his legs, being a senior leader. That just doesn't make sense given the circumstances.

I mentally moved on from him, and frankly think it's best he find another place to play next year.

More
5 years 11 months ago #18767 by CorpusJayhawk
I don’t see a path for Vick to come back to KU. Nor does it appear that anyone involved (save for a recently reality dosed Vick mom) wants to create a path. Vick was enigmatic (nice word for a more serious issue). Vick was too often so far from playing the role we needed last year but we had no options. 2018-19 options abound. If Vick were to somehow return that would be subtraction by addition in my opinion. I’m all for second chances and so forth, but in all honesty, It seems that Vick is on chance number 4 or 5 by now. Not a bad kid or anything like that. Just not the guy we need with the mix we have already next year.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

More
5 years 11 months ago #18770 by Illhawk
Romeo stayed in Indiana, and the graduate transfer who visited went to Nova. Seems like the minutes they could have had are still there?

We will be playing young players a lot on the wing and somebody who has been around could work well.

LV has length, fast twitch and at times a outside shot.

I have long been curious how he gets on with the other Memphis kids?

Upgrade his team D ( I think he guards reasonably well individually) and consistency, and mid range game and he could upgrade his draft status.

If he doesn't he could work his way to the wrong end of the bench.

More
5 years 11 months ago #18771 by DrJHawker
Thanks for all the input. It seems like some of you understand the dynamic of Vick's departure better than I do. In the media, it was portrayed as very amicable, though things clearly weren't always rosy during the season. He did finish the season strong. As was said, Romeo staying in Indiana did open a big door - and the uncertainty of it may have added to the certitude of LaGeralds's departure. On paper, his return seems like a win/win - as long as Vick were to return with humility to fit-in and a hunger to improve. I'd feel more confident with senior LaGerald in the line up over sophomore Marcus Garrett. In fact, I'd like to see Marcus red-shirt and rebuild his shot. Some of you seem to feel the return of Vick is a lost cause, and you may be right but I for one will be interested to see if it might work out and thrilled if it did.

More
5 years 11 months ago #18772 by CorpusJayhawk
DrJ, I have no more inside knowledge than the man in the moon. I read the published information but a lifetime of experience and observation sometimes yields more meaningful input. I know or observe nothing that leads me to believe that LaGerald is in any way a problem or in any way less than a normal fine young man. But my observation is that he was something of a square peg in a round hole in the Self system. I think he could, in the right circumstances, be a fine addition to this team were he to return. He certainly has some decent skills. He and Malik spent way too much time bucking the system. Malik finally started playing like Self demanded. Vick was hot and cold and never consistent. He, IMHO, was the antithesis of Lightfoot. Mitch was at best, marginally effective becasue he was so out of position but his effort was consistently 100% primo. Vick was also out of position when he was asked to play the 4 and rather than give 100% effort, he seemed to shrink from the challenge. If he were to live at the 2 position he might be a better fit but we are loaded there this next year. Lightfoot should never again have to be the 5. His heart is big enough for him to play anywhere anytime, but his size and skills say otherwise. Lightfoot could have a decent year this year if he gets to play the true 4 with a true big by his side, I am somewhat ambivalent about LaGerald coming back. If he does I will root for him 100%. If he doesn’t I lean to thinking it might be best for the team.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk, DrJHawker

More
5 years 11 months ago #18784 by DrJHawker
And it certainly sounds highly unlikely, in fact, that the door is shut, for Vick to return to Lawrence. Vick is part of KU's past, Mr. Grimes is the future. Grimes story, followed by the Vick story

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...national-team-trials

More
5 years 11 months ago #18786 by porthawk
Yup. Based on the article,specifically the comments from HCBS, to me, there appears to be no signs that Mr. Vick is coming back.

More
5 years 11 months ago #18791 by porthawk
Self discusses strange Lagerald Vick situation at USA Basketball camp
www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2018...e-lagerald-vick-sit/

More
5 years 11 months ago #18793 by NotOstertag
I'm not so hot on his return. Sounds like Self is in the same boat.

Vick had such tremendous upside, but his attitude and other issues definitely got in his way.

Remember, this is a kid who was on some kind of double-secret probation for hitting a girl and wasn't immune to off-court issues. He never really seemed to gel with Self's system, and at times I felt like he wasn't engaged or trying very hard. Is all that harsh? Yeah, maybe, but unless he went through a total personality makeover, I don't think Self wants/needs that kind of drama with the team he has coming in.

That leads to the 2nd point: I'm not sure he could start on this team. From what it looks like now, we're stacked, and I'm not sure that he'd be too hot on the idea of having to compete to get minutes. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a terrible judge of talent at times, but while the "potential" Vick might be a great add to the team, the "Vick as demonstrated so far" might just be a big distraction.

I'd put it at 70% / 29% / 1% whether he goes to the G-League, transfers or returns.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
5 years 11 months ago #18794 by DrJHawker
Agreed, after Self's comments, I don't think we'll see Vick back. I hope he makes the G-League. He always seemed like a young man with great latent potential.