Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Azubuike Deadline Tomorrow

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #18716 by NotOstertag
May 30th is the deadline to pull yourself back out of the draft and go back to school. We should know Dok's decision shortly.

Last read, he says he'd go if he had a guarantee from a team for a 1st round deal. Conventional thinking says that's not likely. Still, until this is settled, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 10 months ago #18718 by HawkErrant
Per Self, as reported on Jayhawk Slant in the last hour as I post this note.

Self did not indicate anything regarding what Dok might be thinking, other than Dok knows he needs to make a decision “within the next 30 hours, or whatever.”

Self also said “I’ll let him tell what his decision is whenever he makes his announcement.”

Self also noted that while several teams thought highly of Dok, he (Self) was not sure how Dok would finally decide.

Personal thoughts — Dok is getting his last, final piece of guidance from Self. TTBOMK Self & Co are not looking for anybody else for AY2018-19, indicating to me that Self is expecting Dok back. Can’t see Self letting two schollys lay fallow next season. One, sure, but not two.

Fingers crossed Dok stays.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
5 years 10 months ago #18720 by jaythawk1
We'll all be watching for the announcement.

Thanks

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 10 months ago #18721 by HawkErrant
No word yet as of this post time.

Fingers still crossed.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 10 months ago #18722 by bklynhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 10 months ago #18724 by HawkErrant
Good news, but still not the official announcement.

This news is also supported by Shay Wildeboor on JayhawkSlant, who cites an unnamed source for his posting the news.

Still want that official word.

Yeah, I was like this on active duty as well (they even have a term for the condition, which I won’t mention here 8^p).

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 10 months ago #18725 by HawkErrant

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
5 years 10 months ago #18728 by jaythawk1
Thank you! Thank you!

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #18730 by NotOstertag
....and every other big man in the conference just groaned....

Welcome back Dok. It's the right call.

What I don't understand AT ALL is that the article still lists DeSousa as a probable player with zero mention of his issues. How is that possible? How would we want to risk anything at this point by playing him?

I can only think of 2 scenarios that make sense to me:

1.) that "officially" he's still on the team until he isn't, and Self has told his buddies at the LJW to report things as if there's nothing happening....until something happens....which it will.

2.) that Self is somehow confident that despite the evidence against him, he a.) has overwhelming evidence of Silvio's innocence, and b.) knows that the NCAA will back him up based on that evidence.

I have trouble believing #2, so #1 is the only explanation I can think of. The 3rd obvious option (Self is going to go ahead and risk playing him in the hopes that the NCAA is merciful) seems highly unlikely.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to Dok torturing backboards and rims for another year. Hope to see his FT percentage go up and his overall shooting percentage slip down from its current 77% clip. "Slip down?" you ask? Yes. I'd like to see him become more versatile which would result in him developing shots that originate more than 2 feet from the rim. If he can become more versatile he'll be an even better weapon, despite likely seeing his percentage drop. Never fear, he's clearly not afraid of dunking and I'm sure we'll see plenty of defenders cowering in fear of his mighty ability to throw down.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, Wheatstate Gal