Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Romeo Langford chose Indiana

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #18598 by porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #18599 by Wheatstate Gal
Over 4,000 present to hear his announcement? If I was 17 or 18....you couldn’t have squoze my inflated ego out of that room.

• porthawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #18600 by porthawk

More
5 years 10 months ago #18602 by NotOstertag
Writing was on the wall. You don't invite that many homers to check it out and then pick an out-of-state blueblood when an in-state blueblood is in your top 3.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• wardhawk
More
5 years 10 months ago #18603 by wardhawk
I think the tell tail clue was when he did not take his visit to KU. Don't think he ever entertained the idea of playing for the Jayhawks, too structured with HCBS running the show. I think he may well be a lot like Trea Young.

Wardhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

• porthawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #18605 by porthawk
FBI investigation “pushed out” Kansas in Romeo Langford chase
www.diehards.com/kansas/fbi-investigation-kansas-romeo-langford

Don't know the validity of this site, but it seems the statements from Langford are accurate.

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #18607 by replayloungehawk
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but this seems really fishy to me! Why the heck would his dad say that KU being tied to an FBI investigation had something to do with this sons decision. It's ludicrous. First off, KU has continually been said to be the victim in this situation. Personally, I think they wanted the big stage and coming down to KU or IU was much bigger than IU and Vandy. The kid never intended to go to KU. If he did he would have made a visit. Either way, he's probably just another gunner like Young and we are better off without him. FBI my arse!

More
5 years 10 months ago #18608 by NotOstertag
Well, Skip Bayless seems to think that Vandy was the better option: ftw.usatoday.com/2018/04/skip-bayless-ro...t-college-basketball

I think Bayless needs to up his medication.

Regarding the FBI, it's a convenient excuse, but I don't buy it. He was headed to IU all along and just wanted to host a pep rally. You ain't gonna draw a big crowd if everyone knows the outcome ahead of time.

As for the FBI thing, if you put yourself in a top recruit's position, I think it's really clear: you have a heart-to-heart with HCBS and ask some specific questions. "Coach, I'm probably only going to be in Lawrence for a year, at the most two. You've got a great roster that can compete in the post-season and I think I can make you even more competitive. Explain to me exactly why you don't think the FBI investigation will keep KU from playing in the post season in the next two years, and why I should take a risk going to KU with this problem looming."

You'd be an idiot not to have this discussion with HCBS and then it would only make more sense to independently verify Self's response.

With this in mind, you'll notice that Langford had NO issue with KU getting punished, which tells me that this topic was covered and everyone was comfortable that KU would emerge ok. Instead, Langford claims that he's concerned about the appearance that he may have taken money. Two points there: 1.) with this so prevalent, it would probably be a point of pride within an NBA locker room to be able to say, "I got twice as much as Steph Curry" to your fellow players. 2.) Are we under the (unlikely) impression that Addidas/Nike/UA have no hooks in there and just haven't been nabbed yet? I'm sure there are sketchy people willing to work plenty hard for the Hoosiers just like anyplace else.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

• porthawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #18610 by porthawk
And on the same issue from the LJW

Report says Romeo Langford's father had issue with KU being mentioned in FBI investigation
www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2018...gfords-father-had-i/