Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU big man Udoka Azubuike to test NBA waters without an agent

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #18543 by porthawk
Main article from Tait
www2.kusports.com/news/2018/apr/20/ku-bi...nba-waters-without-/

Breaking down KU center Udoka Azubuike's chances in the NBA Draft
www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2018...er-udoka-azubuikes-/
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 11 months ago #18545 by NotOstertag
Can't blame him at all. I think he could go 1st round. "Could" is the operative word. If he comes back for another year, learns to shoot free throws, and increases his repertoire of shots/moves in and around the paint, he WILL be a lottery pick next year.

My prediction is that he'll do well at the combine, impress the pro scouts and put himself in an even better position for next year's draft.

He'll return to KU, shoot 50-60% free throws, shoot a lower percentage (he'll get more shots, but will take more shots from beyond 23 inches from the rim) and be on every conceivable "big guy list" for national honors.

That said, I'd say that there's a 20% chance that he does well enough in the combine to feel secure enough to go become some team's 2-3 year project like Embiid was. Embiid, however, had a whole lot more going for him from a skill perspective when he left and 100% of the risks were about his health.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, murphyslaw

More
5 years 11 months ago #18547 by Illhawk
I saw a list that has him in the second round in the 2018-2019 draft. I suspect that he wants to find out what the Association thinks he need to work on. Then for the next 11 months he does that: develop some sort of midrange game and improve his ability to chase bigs beyond the paint.
You can't teach size and he looks like an NBA starter in the layup line.
With the right season next year late lottery could happen?
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk