Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Wikipedia list of 2018 NBA Draft Early Entrants

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #18399 by HawkErrant
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NBA_draft#College_underclassmen

List of foreign players follows the underclassmen list

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, gorillahawk, murphyslaw, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #18400 by CorpusJayhawk
Okay, so this list has 88 underclassmen who have declared. Add to that 6 international players generally considered to be drafted that are not on this list. Add to that 12 underclassmen who have not declared that likely will because they are on most draft boards. Add to that 13 seniors who are on most draft boards. That sums up to 119 players to fill 60 draft positions. Looks like there will be a lot of G-League and international contracts being signed. Granted, a number of these players have not hired an agent. Lots of bad advice being given.

FWIW, the NBA Mock Draft has all 5 Duke starters in the first round. Here are the schools with multiple projected picks.

Duke (5)
Arizona (3)
Kentucky (3)
Kansas (2)
Michigan St. (2)
Texas (2)
Texas Tech (2)
Villanova (2)

And a breakdown by class
HS (2)
Freshman (18)
Sophomore (5)
Junior (16)
Senior (13)
International (6)

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, porthawk, murphyslaw, jaythawk1

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #18402 by NotOstertag
I've declared myself eligible for the draft and will represent myself as my own agent.

I need to add my name to this list. If I get signed, I'll get everyone on the board tickets to a game.

Seriously, thanks for posting. Amazing that there's a 2:1 ratio of player to spots. Then consider that many 2nd rounders won't make the team, and there's probably more like 40-50 actual jobs available, and that the number of pospects will only increase as more kids declare.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw, jaythawk1

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #18404 by porthawk
How are there two high school players who have declared? I thought HS players weren't eligible?

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #18405 by CorpusJayhawk
While I think I understand the mindset of these players reasonably well, I have a profound disconnect with the conventional wisdom of leaving early to enter the draft. I happen to have a fairly close connection to a player who has spent time in the NBA and has played for 6 years at various stops overseas. Fortunately he has a degree and has been able to earn a nice living playing basketball. But many of these players leaving early are blinded by the dream and unable to see the practical reality. The life of a college basketball player is a nice life. Triply so at an elite high D1 program. Plus you have all the ingredients to insure you can get a degree and also make numerous lifetime contacts and establish a high degree of goodwill. Not to mention the ultra critical opportunity to mature and grow up to be a functioning adult in a complex world where you are destined to ultimately not be a pampered athlete. If I were highly likely to be a 1st rounder I would probably advise most youngsters to leave. But I strongly believe you can make a comprehensive case that in the medium and certainly the long run sticking in college is a far better plan. The biggest disconnect is having that long-term vision. Most of these youngsters (and most people in general) do not have a grasp on a longer term vision in life and thus they make decisions based on short term gains at the expense of long-term benefit. Or even worse, they make decisions based on the DREAM of short-term gains (indulgence) at the expense of long-term quality of life. Anyone remember Korleone Young? Decided to forgo college and was drafted in the 2nd round. Cut by the Pistons because of immaturity, lack of work ethic and simply wasn't ready for the rigors of the NBA. Last I heard he had numerous personal problems and was struggling. I know, that is anecdotal so should not be extrapolated to principle but it does support the principle. So what about Malik? I understand his burning desire since he was 5 years old to be in the NBA and now he is in a position to taste it. But based on the draft boards I have seen he is not being considered. That does not mean he will be Korleone Young nor does it mean he is destined for a bad life but it seems to me that if you were able to surgically remove his burning desire to be in the NBA and implant a cold and calculating mature reason he would likely make a different decision. He would stick around for at least another year on a stacked team (in a very nice life), get closer to his degree, grow even more mature mentally, emotionally, physically and skill-wise. If he is truly a talent it will come out even more on a top college team and he will likely move up the draft board. All the while living a very nice life of a college athlete. I support his decision and I sure hope his dreams come true. I just believe he is acting more on dreaming and desire than on a rational plan for long-term happiness.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by CorpusJayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #18406 by NotOstertag
Good post, Corpus and how dare you put things like "logic" and "rational thought" into play on this. :)

I think there's also the contribution of various "hangers on" who get involved. Whether that's a hungry agent who figures that if he signs up 10 players who "might get drafted" his odds are better than banking on 3 or 4 who are probable draftees. If he gets lucky and one or two of the others get picked up, he's getting a payday. Then there are family members and friends who also have a financial stake in a kid getting a contract as soon as possible.

I tend to agree with you though. Being a college basketball player isn't a horrible life. The only 3 things that I think should come into play are the following:
1.) Am I a PROBABLE first round pick? If "yes" then go. If not move onto question #2.
2.) If not, will another year of work at the college level increase my chances? If yes, go to #3, if no and you've peaked already, you probably NEED that degree more than you think.
3.) What is my risk of a career-impacting injury derailing my chances? In this case, if you've had nagging injuries, for example (Joel Embiid), it's better to get that career-ending injury AFTER you've signed the multi-million dollar deal.

Obviously, nobody on this board is faced with this decision, so it's a little unrealistic for us to say how things "should" happen. Nevertheless, there are way too many examples of kids winding up with derailed lives because they left school with too much optimism of a pro career. Heck, Brannen Greene recently had his mug shot in the Topeka paper because he got caught with a large quantity of pot in his car. Most NBA millionaires don't need to augment their income by selling drugs.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #18408 by HawkErrant
The SI mock draft that came out once the NCAAT ended has Devonté 30, Malik 56 and Svi 59.
www.si.com/nba/2018/04/03/nba-mock-draft...t-prospects-60-picks

Will be interesting to see if Malik shows up on others once they are updated. For example, the NBADraft.net mock draft is over a week old, has Svi at 30 and Devonté at 38, and no mention of Malik.

Neither of these two mocks have Vick or Dok on them.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 1 week ago #18445 by porthawk
ESPN breaks down who had declared and who is just testing the waters. They use a cutoff of "top 100 prospects."

www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23048470/2018-nba-draft-testing
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
6 years 1 week ago #18446 by porthawk
And here's an article that explains the "testing the waters" process. It's more complicated than it sounds (according to the article),

www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22854438/tes...e-complicated-sounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 day ago #18537 by HawkErrant
I haven’t seen anything official yet, but word is that freshman star Smith — who apparently is projected go mid first round - has or is hiring an agent and going for the gold.

Tech was hoping he would just test and return, so this hurts them for next year if true.

More
5 years 11 months ago #18569 by porthawk
Interesting that Udoka is listed at 6'11" (see second link). Have always seen him listed at 7'0"

In the third link below, they say that Newman is making the right move and that Vick needs another year. There's also a quick (and neutral) mention of Preston.

NBA's early-entry list breaks record with 236 players
www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23307754/nba...w-record-236-players

NBA draft: Every player who has declared early for 2018
www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23306502/201...layer-declared-early

Also from ESPN: Best, worst and strangest decisions from NBA draft early-entry deadline
www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...early-entry-deadline

More
5 years 11 months ago #18570 by NotOstertag
It's pretty common for college players to overestimate their height. Not sure if they post their height "in shoes" in the media guide, or if they just round up or something.

At the combine they take exact measurements without shoes so that the data collected in the evaluations is accurate. Svi has always claimed to be 6'8" and to my eye he's closer to 6'6". Seems like it's standard operating procedure.