Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

The weave?

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #18069 by murphyslaw
This shows how little I know: When KU didn't do their patented weave, I was very concerned and couldn't figure out why we abandoned that technique for what I had mistakenly called, "stand around basketball." It was evidently the perfect foil for a Duke team who's scouts never saw us play that way. I would love to know the details of HCBS' decision to completely change our style of play. (How amazing that our young men caught on in such a short time and played it so well!)

Oh, the victory is still sweet!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 1 month ago #18074 by mtnMan
The weave is for a man-to-man defense. In the last half of the season Duke switched to a zone defense (because man was too difficult for a mostly frosh team). We played well early in season against Syracuse zone but not as well against Washington’s, but we learned how to do it. Get the ball to a flashing player at the FT line who then has 3 options: shoot short shot, lob to big, or pass to a open 3-point shooter. Vick was great at making good decision and Marcus was pretty good. Other main play was having Malik run the baseline to get a pass in the other corner before zone had time to shift. That obviously worked well also. Play of the game in OT: Svi passes to Graham who passes to Vick at FT line who before he lands flicks it to Malik in the corner who is open for game-deciding 3. And Silvio was clearly space in case there was a rebound. Perfect TEAM basketball
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, bmchawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.