Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Random observations

• USAF Jayhawk
  • USAF Jayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #18048 by USAF Jayhawk
Interesting that this was the first career Double-Double for Svi...and he was a defensive monster. MVP runner-up in my mind.

ESPN article saying KU, Villanova, and Michigan in the FF was predictable...yet when the Tournament started only 1 of about 20 ESPN writers/anchors called KU over Duke or MSU. Not complaining mind you...

When Grayson Allen drove for the last shot I feared he was fouled (or that he would get the call). But after watching the replay about 69 times he clearly hooked Malik. I'm waiting for the whining...
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by USAF Jayhawk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• USAF Jayhawk
  • USAF Jayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #18050 by USAF Jayhawk
The Midwest Regional all-tournament team announced (from a Clemson website). "DeVoe was voted to the team comprised of five other student-athletes: Malik Newman (Kansas/Most Outstanding Player), Devonte’ Graham (Kansas), Marvin Bagley III (Duke), Trevon Duval (Duke) and Gary Trent, Jr. (Duke)."

Congrats to MN and DG.., but how is that the the winning team got fewer names on the all-tournament team than the runner up?

More
6 years 1 month ago #18056 by JRhawk
I saw that ESPN story - 1 of 28 ESPN gurus to be exact and 3 of about 60 from them, CBS, SI, SN, etc. Only Goodman from ESPN had KU as NC.

More
6 years 1 month ago #18060 by NotOstertag
Noticed Allen hooking Malik too. Should have been called. I really dislike that kid.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 1 month ago #18064 by minerscoach
They called Doke for a hook early, which was the correct call, but Bagley hooked every time he spun off of the defender. An as you mentioned, Allen hooked big time to get that last second shot of regulation off. Glad it did not go in.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago #18065 by HawkErrant
ESPN story - Three Blue Bloods, a Miracle and the Final Four no one saw coming by Andrea Adelson, ESPN staff writer

1. Her title is nice but inaccurate. Michigan is not a "blue blood". Even Nova is a stretch for that sobriquet. Nova is excellent recently, and has had moments in the past 40 years, but they are not "blue blood". Those programs are (in no particular order other than KU first because it is OUR program)

BEDROCK BLUE BLOODS (have both long term history and current success)
KANSAS - multiple HoF coaches and history, and alma mater of Adolph Rupp and Dean The Traitor Smith, 3 NCAA titles under 3 different coaches, 2nd only to UK in all time wins

KENTUCKY - yep, You are welcome, UK 8 NCAA titles - Rupp 4, Joe B. Hall, Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, Squid. 1st in All Time Wins

NORTH CAROLINA - likewise, tarred ones. 6 titles: Frank McGuire , TTS 2, Roy 3; 3rd in All Time Wins

DUKE - there was a Duke before Coach K, as evidenced by Duke being #4 on the All Time Wins list. (Hi, VIc Bubas!). But all 5 of their NCAA titles belong to K.

TRADITIONAL BLUE BLOODS WHO ARE NOT AS GOOD TODAY (and really aren't showing signs of returning to greatness)
UCLA - 10 titles under Wooden, 1 under Harrick 20 years later (1995), none since, #7 ATWP mostly Wooden

INDIANA - 5 titles under Branch McCracken (2) and Bob Knight (3); #11 ATWP

OTHER PROGRAMS AKA "NEW BLOODS"
Michigan State - Tom Izzo, Jud Heathcote; 2 NC (Jud & Tom), #28 All Time Wins

Villanova - excellent recent candidate over the past 40 years, with success and an NC apiece under both Rollie Massimino and his protégé Jay Wright. #24 in All Time Wins

Syracuse - all Boeheim for 42 years, still #6 in All Time Wins even after the 101 vacated wins.

UConn - nothing on national stage before Calhoun (3 NC), and really looking like nothing again once all his players left (NC under recently fired Ollie), #27 ATWP

Louisville - 3 NCs under Denny Crum (2), Rick Pitino, #10 ATWP, but who will pick up the pieces? (Have they got a hire yet?)

2. "We all had an idea Villanova would be here. Kansas too. Michigan looked like a good bet after an impressive Big Ten tournament championship run."

As USAF and JR have noted, her "we all had an idea" is flat out inaccurate regarding Kansas. The ending of her title is closer to the reality, but with it she is really writing about Loyola-Chicago making the FF .

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk