Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Newman is our MVP!

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #18016 by replayloungehawk
Devonte is critical and so is Dok and all the players had one great play at one point in this game but without Newman we don't win! Wow! What a performance!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, DrJHawker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 1 month ago #18018 by hairyhawk
Absolutely! I read where Malik's dad talked about Malik being a player whose team wins. If he has to carry them he will. He learned from HCBS how to do so much more than score with the ball in his hands but he has not lost that ability.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, replayloungehawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 1 month ago #18021 by konza63
He was utterly insane out there. Just ice-in-his-veins clutch.

I love that kid. He has come so far so fast, and he is a flat-out WINNER.

Rock Chalk!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, replayloungehawk

More
6 years 1 month ago #18023 by Riverhawk
That was an all-time legend game by Malik! Fantastic job by virtually everyone to hang in there despite fouls and turnovers.
And I think a special second most valuable award should go to both Svi and Silvio. Really terrific games by both, and how clutch was the shot at the end of regulation! Awesome, folks, just awesome. And what the hell...don't stop now!!!!!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 1 month ago #18025 by konza63
SILVIO's minutes were off-the-charts huge. SO critical to the win.

Hate to say it, but Dok came out and played like a deer in headlights on the bright stage, and never got into the swing whatsoever. He made a play here or there, but he was never pivotal. SILVIO, on the other hand, had to come in and fill the gap, and WOW did he fill it! He was amazing. Even down to the crucial hustle play diving for the ball that the Dookie player ultimately tipped out (barely). THAT was emblematic of the entire effort for Silvio. He was so crucial.

And yep, Svi hit the pivotal 3-ball after missing two straight open looks. I was SO happy he was able to offset those and end up a winner. Nobody has worked harder (aside from Graham, an equal) and invested more blood, sweat, tears, and time into our program over a 4-year period with the current team than Svi. Hats off!

GREAT team win, and Devonte wasn't nearly as off in this one as he was the last two. He was critical out there as well in moments, as was Vick, as was even Garrett (two big buckets, ultimately), so let's just soak this in and give credit to the whole team!

Final thought: MAN, did it feel GREAT to see how HAPPY Coach Self was at the end! He was so ecstatic, so thrilled. I love that guy, as we all do, and NOBODY in the land deserved this more than him! Maybe this was the "floodgates opening" moment in his coaching career.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, DrJHawker, newtonhawk

More
6 years 1 month ago #18029 by mtnMan
And Malik also guarded Allen on last play of regulation with a hand in Allen’s face and not fouling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 1 month ago #18031 by Kong
Allen was 16 points from scoring 2000 in his career. He didn't make it. I like that.

Malik was a monster and we needed him to be.

Malik an dVick always seem to know where each other are. That quick pass to Malik, was amazing for three!

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
6 years 1 month ago #18034 by hairyhawk
I do not know if Svi is getting enough credit for his D-fence an Bagley. I thought he was very good on the defensive end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, mtnMan, DrJHawker, newtonhawk

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #18038 by replayloungehawk
Yeah I totally agree on Svi's defense. He was awesome! And of course the critical three.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, mtnMan

More
6 years 1 month ago #18042 by DrJHawker
Svi did an amazing job on a much bigger and more athletic Bagley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnMan

More
6 years 1 month ago #18044 by DrJHawker
Malik has been our MVP every since the post-season started. He's been amazing. So amazing, I'd imagine he's flying up the draft board and going to find himself going in the first round. Newman will probably be playing in the NBA next year and good for him! I just hope he gets us a National Championship before he goes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, newtonhawk

More
6 years 1 month ago #18045 by hairyhawk
I agree with the Good Doctor
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
6 years 1 month ago #18047 by mtnMan
AND Newman scored ALL 13 of our points in OT. And he continued to hound Allen in OT. His overtime line would be a great game for most players. Wow. And remember back when we were on him? He would hopelessly into the trees and was always thinking shot first, pass second. No more. On to the Final Four and do it again!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago #18051 by HawkErrant
... they named Malik Most Outstanding Player for the Midwest Regional.

Congratulations, Malik!

Keep up the great play, you were fantastic on both ends of the court against Duke!

www2.kusports.com/news/2018/mar/25/noteb...ke-newman-named-reg/

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: replayloungehawk