Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Another amazing stat about Wilt

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17817 by porthawk
On Sports Center tonight, they showed highlights of Dwight Howard's 30-point, 30-rebound game.

They followed with a graphic that showed that Wilt Chamberlain had 124(!) career 30-point, 30-rebound games. Next to that number it showed that all other players have a combined 32 of those games. Just an incredible stat!

www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22863051/dwi...30-rebound-night-win
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by porthawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, jayhawk969

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 1 month ago #17819 by Bayhawk
Thanks Port! I've been a fan of Wilt since I was short pants. Can't get enough of the Big Dipper,

RC ;)

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
6 years 1 month ago #17820 by NotOstertag
When I was young, Wilt was in the twilight of his NBA career and of course I knew about him, but really didn't know much regarding actual stories or stats. Through the years, as I've learned more, I can't count how many times some stat or story simply blows my mind.

The one thing that I feel obligated to mention with ANY of the stats or stories that relate to scoring: he did it before there was a 3 point line. 100 points in a game.....no 3's. All those 30 point games.....all 2 pointers or free throws.

The NBA debuted the 3 point line in 1979. Wilt retired 6 years prior to that. So literally every other big name that comes to mind....Magic, Bird, Jordan, LaBron, Kobe, Curry.....all benefited by mixing 3 pointers into their records. Wilt never had that option, and it would be interesting to see what he would have accomplished if he had played with a 3 point line, or of the others hadn't had that opportunity.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk