Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Announcers for Clemson v KU

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago #17755 by HawkErrant
Bill Raftery, Jim Nantz, Grant Hill, Tracy Woolfson.

So enjoying the announcers overall. Such a difference from the ESPN crews.

I will say that it was only after last night’s OkSt-Stanford NIT game on ESPN was over that I realized whoever was working that game (I tend to either tune out the talking heads or mute them if they are irritating) actually did a solid job of talking about the game in a — for the most part — unbiased and informative manner. The realization was rather shocking. ESPN? Yep.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 1 month ago #17756 by sasnak
I'm the opposite, I am on ESPN withdrawal and can't stand Nantz or Raftery..."just a little KISS" ugh. Nantz needs to stick with golf and tennis and his tales of Bush 41. Double ugh. I dislike most of CBS's guys

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17758 by HawkErrant
LOL!

Don’t get me wrong, sasnak, I can do without the Len Elmores of the world, but I just get so tired of ESPN THs talking about anything *but* the game in front of them that as often as not I just mute them out unless something happens that the picture alone can’t explain. It seems to me that, despite their very obvious biases, the CBS crews tend to pay more attention to keeping the viewer informed about what is happening in the arena.

Then again, as already mentioned I tend to tune out the THs even if I don’t mute them, so it may be that I am simply equivalencing different with better due to insufficient data.

BTW, I noticed that when I started typing sasnak my autocorrect suggested “Sasha KU”.
I *like* that... just saying...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 1 month ago #17761 by Kong
I like the guy a lot. He tells you what is going on, but also is very excited during the play.

I really would have loved to hear him announce the UMBC games. He would have been through the roof.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 1 month ago #17765 by mtnMan
The only announcers/analysts I've liked this year are Mike Been and Steve Lavin. Both ex-coaches who really know the game. They both have helped me see nuances of plays that I would have missed. And they don't talk much about "back in my day." No one else helps me understand anything. I've been amazed at the number of times the CBS announcers have missed what the referee has called and say something else only to correct it later. The call was obvious to anyone who was WATCHING the game.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17768 by HawkErrant
Now that you mentioned him, I do think — despite my initial ugh when he was introduced— that it was Lavin that I enjoyed so much,

More
6 years 1 month ago #17769 by porthawk
I like Lavin, too. I also like Brad Nessler (play-by-play guy with Lavin) and his even-keeled approach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17770 by HawkErrant
Yep, that’s the combo I’ve really enjoyed. Thanks, folks!

More
6 years 1 month ago #17774 by sasnak
I liked Lavin too which surprised the heck outta me- lol

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

More
6 years 1 month ago #17779 by JhawkMom
Anybody works for me as long as it isn't blabbermouth v