Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Just looking at this graphic makes me shake my head...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 1 week ago #17718 by konza63

The South and West are just obliterated. It's now wide open for a very pedestrian Kentucky team.

Contrast that with the East and Midwest.

The committee did a really poor job setting up the "Left vs. Right" sides of the bracket, in my opinion. They chose three 1-seeds and 2-seeds that have lousy tourney histories (Virginia, Xavier, and Cincy), and put them all on the "left" side of the bracket, while putting KU, Duke, and Nova on the other (along with Michigan State).

As of late Saturday night, I thought UNC and UK had been given huge gifts...and by the end of last night, it was obvious UK (and Michigan) had been given same.

Unless it's Michigan that emerges from that side of the bracket, the team that does will be a "flukish" NC game entry. Meanwhile, our side of the bracket will be a heavyweight affair. It would've been even more so had Michigan State not gotten bounced, but it's still going to be a gauntlet. And you'd have to think that whomever emerges from the "right" side will have to play a much more intensive, draining FF game two nights before the NC than on the left side of the bracket.

Then again, Madness could wield its magic on our side too before it's all over. I just don't think that will happen, and that a lot of "chalk" will now hold.

Should be interesting. Please, no UK on the left side. And no Puke on the right -- only KU. :-)

Rock Chalk....

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 week ago by HawkErrant. Reason: FYP. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, mtnMan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 1 week ago #17720 by hairyhawk
In the South region the highest seed that can make it is a 5 seed and in the East the lowest seed that can make it is a 5 seed. As you pointed out the right side of the bracket is mostly high seeds with the exception of Syracuse. I think Duke handles Syracuse because unlike most teams in the tournament they will have seen that zone a couple times before. I just hope the Hawks get rested and rejuvenated and come out firing on all cylinders for the next 2 games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
6 years 1 week ago #17727 by Kong
The East and Mid-West are still loaded. But thankfully we would only have to play three of them out of all of those teams. The South and West have been decimated, but there are still a lot of teams left that can do some damage. I think it would be funny if KSU took out Kentucky. But Nevada, Michigan, and Gonzaga are all still very good teams. As UMBC showed, anyone can win the game

Visualize Whirled Peas

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 week ago #17733 by HawkErrant
The one thing all the “experts” have agreed upon from the start — and have been right about so far — is that unlike years past this tournament to date has proved to be wide open.

So here’s to an Final Four with only one FF familiar mascot in it — a crimson & blue mascot, of course!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 week ago #17736 by replayloungehawk
It's too bad it can't be a Big 12 Final Four!

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 1 week ago #17742 by konza63
So true, Replay!

I could definitely get behind that.

Even though the Purp fan base is super annoying, and both Huggins and the WV fan base is starting to develop a similar "Winners Envy" toward KU that manifests itself in rude sentiment and negative behavior toward KU and its fan base (see: Statie and Misery), I can still root for them up to and until KU falters.

As for Texas Tech, I will root for them to go all the way to the crown if KU falters, and to lose to KU if they both get that far.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant