Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Is it me?

• Hawknmo
  • Hawknmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17661 by Hawknmo
I have perused enough posts to see that the majority think today’s game was not that great. Really? Now I will agree the one player we usually lean on heavily had a poor scoring game, but “stinker” and “not so good”? 50% from the field, 43% from 3 and only 11 turnovers. Even if you’re a rebound person, which I am not, we’ve been outrebounded by more than 7 against much less talent. This is the “punishment” game you get for being a 1 seed. Unless of course you’re Virginia. (THAT will never get old) Most 8/9 s could easily be 3 or 4s. Simply stated I thought they played really well for the lack of performance they got from DG.

Best part of this win, I believe we are going to watch an exact replica of this game in Omaha. Clemson or Auburn will play much the same I would imagine. So having this game in the memory and knowing DG will assuredly play better has to be a huge positive for the guys.

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago #17662 by HawkErrant
At least I certainly hope it’s you. Except for the obvious down games by Devonté (scoring and initial ball handling), Marcus playing too much like a freshman, and a desire to see LaGerald work more on D, overall we played a strong game. As I noted earlier, this is the type of game we played against solid teams all year. In that regard the season was a great prep for the postseason. Learn to win close games instead of blowouts. Not going to see too many of the latter in the postseason.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 1 month ago #17665 by JRhawk
Agreed HE. Except for DG's inexplicable inability to dribble the ball and Marcus's inability to shoot free throws (a thousand per day this summer), thought the rest stepped up very well. Was pleasantly surprised to see Dok so active (was afraid DG was out for the count when he his Dok). Newman stepped up big time.

More
6 years 1 month ago #17667 by AZhawk87
I don't think it was a stinker. I think we were always in control of the game, and Seton was not really ever in a position to win. Absent Seton making their last 7 desperation shots (see comment about defense below - argh), this wasn't as close as the score.

It seemed like we should have been able to win by 12+, and letting them hang around created the angst.

My one beef is that we went to that stupid slow down offense again, trying to kill clock. I guess it works enough for coaches to keep using it, but I hate it. We also deployed the "no foul" defense to keep the clock running and them off the line. That lead to uncontested layups, and kept them in the game late.

Onward ! and condolences to Mizzou, OU, Arizona and Virginia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnMan

More
6 years 1 month ago #17670 by LSHawk
If I’m not mistaken, our winning margins closely matched the lines...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnMan

More
6 years 1 month ago #17672 by jayhawk969
I will not be joining you on condolences to Arizona and Mizzou, good riddance :)

More
6 years 1 month ago #17684 by mtnMan
Looking at today's games makes it clear that a solid victory over Steton Hall was a bigger deal than we thought. We can add Michigan St and UNC to the condolences list--NOT! Win and advance, then win and advance. Don't matter how.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk