Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

The OU End

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #17532 by Senex68
Quite satisfying. Young believed he was so good he could carry his team to something........except he didn't. He couldn't. And Kruger sold his soul to the devil and got one NCAA game out of the deal, and that was a loss. I almost never really wish for a team to lose, especially since MU is gone from our vicinity, but this was a perfect ending FOR ME and an absolutely perfect ending for anyone who hates the sellout that happened this year in Norman.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, JayhawkChef, KMT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #17535 by Wheatstate Gal
I read an article recently on Trae. Sports Illustrated: "NBA scouts dish on Trae Young"

Will have a career....but he ain't no Steph Curry. IF his body holds up.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #17539 by wchawk
The Trae Young experiment is over.

More
6 years 2 months ago #17540 by CorpusJayhawk
I felt a little guilty watching OU and RI. I could not resist rooting against OU. I felt like I should be rooting for OU but the whole Trae Young one man band thing just does not sit well with me. Does anyone think that if Trae came to KU that he would have been able to play anything like he played at OU? Self would never allow it. As Senex said, Lon Kruger, a very decent coach, sold his soul for a 1 game losing record in the big dance. Sad.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
6 years 2 months ago #17541 by AZhawk87
I think we should have traded Malik for Young. Malik would love a game plan that just lets him go go go, and play no defense.

Young would have fit into Self's system and would have had an all american year. We would have been amazing.

More
6 years 2 months ago #17543 by hoshi
Young, Carter and Miles love to play hero ball. I dislike, hero ball players.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #17546 by HawkErrant
Corpus, we are in lock step.

I have *never* before not wanted a Big 12 team to do well against non-conference teams in the NCAAT. What’s good for them is good for the conference is good for KU come tourney time, especially in the public eye.

But today I was openly rooting for URI, and it all has to do with Trae Trey.
Kid has a fantastic shooting touch, and he can find his teammates for a score, but I find I don’t care for his attitude, and I put that squarely on LK. Lost a lot of respect for him this season with the way he handled the kid.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #17548 by Senex68
I do think that his turnovers are a problem, and will be a problem in the NBA. Today he had 7 assists and 6 turnovers, which is............egregious. As for his attitude and immaturity, his parents have some responsibility there. It's clear that he came to OU with an approach that simply wasn't team focused, and Kruger enabled him. But his character was formed over 18 plus years living with his parents, particularly his father. Fault must lie with him, and them, to a significant degree.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #17551 by JhawkMom
I, too, had Rhode island winning and was so happy to see ok go down. So there Mr. young, you chose wrong but got your one game show with 28 points. Wonder if the scouts were impressed? Won't miss him next year. One and done he sure was

More
6 years 1 month ago #17558 by Hawknmo
Great point about A/TO by Senex. I had thought for the “all universe” player the boys from Bristol annointed him he did turn the ball over....a lot. So here are the numbers. 272 assists...161 turnovers. My abacus says thats about a 1.6/1 ratio. So who to compare the all powerful one to? How about some no name from Raleigh? So far, cuz he’s still playing....254 assists and 94 turnovers. So...carry the one..divide by pi..add the remainder and I get about 2.7 to 1. Another complete assist better than Sir Young. Jevon Carter...225 to 94. Those are just two guys who played the whole season. Would have loved to include Evans, so far he only has 59 T/Os! His minutes were just lower than the other two. Simply stated, for all the hype Young is and was getting, Im not so sure the NBA will grade him out as well as the media might think. Yes, they draft on potential, but right now his handle is clearly not that great for someone who will be handling the ball a lot.

RKCKJHK!!!

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17571 by gorillahawk
Almost off topic, but something caught my eye...near the end of the game...the, I think URI, sideline bench antics after a made three included one player in a kneeling sniper position mimicking shooting random people in the crowd...especially in these times seemed grossly inappropriate...boyz will be boyz, but might consider getting that kid a psych eval...or introducing him to the friendly local military recruiter :(
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by gorillahawk.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago #17573 by HawkErrant

gorillahawk wrote: Almost off topic, but something caught my eye...near the end of the game...the, I think URI, sideline bench antics after a made three included one player in a kneeling sniper position mimicking shooting random people in the crowd...especially in these times seemed grossly inappropriate...boyz will be boyz, but might consider getting that kid a psych eval...or introducing him to the friendly local military recruiter :(

Yes to the former. The latter? Not without passing the former.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 1 month ago #17576 by porthawk
The roller coaster for Trae Young comes to an end at Oklahoma
www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnatio...o-an-end-at-oklahoma

After tough finish, Sooners must replace Trae Young
www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnatio...sider/post?id=121631