Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

NIT — You make the call

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #17474 by HawkErrant
6:55 Q2 USC going right to left from our perspective.

USC player advancing the ball just past halfcourt line, has pocket picked by UNC Asheville player.
UNC-A player floor burns the ball left to right back across halfcourt line, while on back with both feet in air (never on his feet with possession of the ball) throws ball right to left back across halfcourt line to teammate (all his teammates are on other side of the line).

1. Do you call traveling on UNC-A?
2. If no, then do you call “over and back” on UNC-A?

If no to 2, why not?

I’m purposefully NOT saying how the refs ruled — or did not rule — to minimize possibly biasing your call.

Thanks!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 1 month ago #17487 by Junkman
Ok... I'm going to take a stab at this.

I'm assuming travelling wasn't called, as if it had it probably wouldn't have been an interesting enough situation.

The rule I believe is that both feet and the ball must cross half court to make it an over and back situation. By cross I assume touch, as it's not over and back if you hang the ball or a foot over mid-court without touching. His feet never technically touched in the backcourt, so based on that I'm going to assume that nothing was called... play on!

kj

More
6 years 1 month ago #17488 by Bayhawk
I agree with the J man (FWIW),

RCJHGKU

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17492 by HawkErrant
You both are correct that nothing was called. However I would interpret the reasoning for the no over and back a little differently because the floor burn player clearly had control of the ball while he was physically on his offensive side of the court, even if his feet had not touched the court.

I think the key to over and back is whether or not a team is in control of the ball as it crosses the half court line. Over and back occurs when a team in control of the ball physically places the ball on its offensive side of the court by dribble or pass, and then the player or a teammate in possession of the ball puts at least one foot on or back across the half court line.

In this instance it was a loose ball, stripped away from the ball handler by the defender, that crossed the half court line. The floor burn player in the example recovered the ball on his offensive side of the court and then while on his back threw it back across the line to a teammate. By rule, it could not be a an over and back violation as his team had not advanced a controlled ball across the half court line.

I was really stumped at first trying to figure out why over and back was not called until I realized that the player did not cross the half court line in possession of the ball

Make sense?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
6 years 1 month ago #17501 by Junkman
Actually it does. Seems similar to the same logic as when an offensive player tips a rebound into the back court and it not being over and back.

Thanks for the thought exercise! Something to calm nerves in the wait for tomorrow’s game.

kj