Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Very little love for KU

• JRhawk
  • JRhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17459 by JRhawk
Only one of the many so-called experts pick KU as NC. Unfortunately, it's Jeff Goodman and since he continued to write about the Ball brothers long after anyone cared, I'd have to say no one picks KU (or WSU for that matter). Here is ESPN's list
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22738692/espn-experts-make-final-four-national-champion-predictions-2018-ncaa-tournament Moreover, he's the only of of ESPN's 28 who think KU will make the FF.
I also looked at CBS - 8 analysts - no KU in FF; SI - 8 analysts - 1 (Jamie Lisanti) has KU in FF, but not winning. Sporting News (4) and Yahoo Sports (5) - nada for KU. USA Today (4) - Scott Gleeson has KU in FF, but not winning.
Hopefully the team will make a mockery out of the lot of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago #17460 by HawkErrant
Not unexpected, I'm afraid.

First there is Self's track record at KU -- great in getting to the E8 (7 times so far in his first 14 years), but not so hot at winning it (just 2 of 7).

Then there is the nature of this year's team, the most Jekyll/Hyde Self team I can remember in his 15 seasons to date.

You cannot convince me that these Coasties -- except those who actually work the Big 12 -- pay any real attention to anything other than the headlines. And I'm sure the majority attitude is yes, after its up and down first three months KU has now won 8 of its last 9 games since the @Baylor loss, won its NCAA record setting 14th straight regular season conference title (against a diminished Texas Tech) and swept through the Big XII Tournament without its star big man, but that just goes to show that despite the computer ratings, the Big XII just ain't much more than KU's *****. Silvio's last game was a welcome revelation to us because we have seen enough of him growing into his role to know that he is *not* a fluke and has the potential to make a significant contribution in the NCAAs. I have yet to hear *any* of the talking heads make mention of his coming into his own as a factor, and it is, and it is a wonderful factor for KU. All the talking heads see is Dok has been hurt, and all they ask is will he play... and will he hit free throws in crunch time?

This is actually exactly where I want the Jayhawks to be -- no one's favorite outside of Jayhawk Nation.

We have already heard or read about the guys talking about nobody was thinking KU could win #14, and they showed them.
And nobody thought they could win the Big XII Tournament without Dok, and they showed them.

I have to believe that right now, as all these prognostications come out, the thing at the very top of our guys' minds as they see few people picking them to get to even the Final Four, let along winning it all, is just this -- "We're just going to have to show them."

Make it so, Jayhawks!

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: wchawk, Wheatstate Gal, newtonhawk

More
6 years 1 month ago #17462 by JhawkMom
I have another example of nobody paying attention to KU.....

In USA Today, some journalist (?) wrote an article about how noone without an "I" in their last name has won a NC since 1997. Did he forget about 2008 ??????????????????????????????????????

Yesterday, I put up my car flag.

Anybody know where I can find a viewing site around Tampa???????

More
6 years 1 month ago #17464 by Slayer2384
No pressure/low expectations. Maybe the team can play loose and have fun as coach sometimes says. Maybe coach can use it as a motivator.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17465 by Wheatstate Gal
Maybe COACH can stay loose and have some fun! :-/
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant