Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Coach K the Enabler

• Slayer2384
  • Slayer2384's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17431 by Slayer2384

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 1 month ago #17436 by NotOstertag
Currently it doesn't look like Allen will be playing in the NBA, so maybe he'll go overseas somewhere. Regardless his cheap shots continue and almost seem reflexive as if he was pulling this crap on the playground his whole life, which wouldn't surprise me.

My only hope is that he winds up playing in the Czechslovanianbosniastan league and we read a story that after tripping the wrong guy, Grayson Allen's season ends as he recovers from a broken jaw. Kid needs to get tuned up. Won't happen in the the NCAA since the NCAA has pretty stiff penalties for fighting. But in some rinky-dink eastern European league, that might not be the case. You know for certain that his behavior wouldn't sit well with any veteran NBA players.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 1 month ago #17439 by CorpusJayhawk
One of my favorite quotes usually attributed to Abraham Lincoln (even in his museum) is "Nearly All Men Can Stand Adversity, But If You Want To Test a Man’s Character, Give Him Power". Generally I have admired Coach K. I suspect he runs clean recruiting. But as all are susceptible to the lure and intoxicant of power, he is no exception. I think coaches can at times tend to have blind spots. I was watching that game live. It appeared to me that were I the coach and given Allen's track record that would have warranted some action like benching for a few minutes and a good talking to at the very least. Bad actions without consequences almost always lead to more bad actions. Grayson may learn his lesson some other way but withholding consequences is the definition of enabling. I think a poster boy for the moral hazard of withholding consequences is Johnny Manziel. What if somewhere starting in grade school people in his life started exacting consequences? Would he have turned out differently? The universe is governed not only by strict physics laws but the proverbial laws of human interaction tend to work out in the long run. I fear for Grayson Allen's future.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!