Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Probability of NC By Conference - Not good for Big 12

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17396 by CorpusJayhawk
The Big 12 is the top conference on average from top to bottom. But in the NCAA it really matters mostly who has the most teams in the top 8-12.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago #17397 by HawkErrant
So I reckon our top 4 — KU, TT, WVU and KSU — are going to have to show up and create some damage for a change!

One of the things that gripes me about OU and not OSU getting in. The Pokes at least have a chance away from home. The Sooners are hapless outside of Norman this year.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17398 by HawkErrant
Along those lines, Barry Brown is good to go for Friday’s game, and it looks like Dean Wade will be, too.

www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kan...rticle204630739.html

Need everybody back — e.g., TT’s Keenan Evans and Zach Smith and our own Dok — to handle the Mongrel Horde.

(And yes, I meant “mongrel”).:woohoo:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnMan

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17399 by HawkErrant
Do you like a 31% probability of KU getting to the FF?

www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12...rticle204618094.html

Emphasizes the #1 reason to always prefer a 1 seed to a 2 — at worst you only have to face 1 of the top 3 teams in your region to make the FF. At best you won’t have to face either of the other two.

But first...

Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.
Penn.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, mtnMan

More
6 years 1 month ago #17400 by NotOstertag
No offense, but these are the same models that had us finishing mid-pack in the Big 12 this year, so I'll take them with a grain of salt.

Not to dismiss the models completely, but they leave a lot out. For example, going into the Big 12, the models were based on the performance of a team that had Malik Newman playing hot and cold, and the KU interior game built around Dok, and DeSousa as a non-factor for the most part. I think we'd all agree that "past performance" wasn't a good indicator of the team that played the Big 12 tournament.

There are plenty of other teams that are heading into this weekend in very different places than their past performance would indicate, and then you throw in the general insanity of the tourney itself.

Let's beat Penn and take it from there.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 1 month ago #17401 by hairyhawk
I agree with the whole idea of 3 separate 2 game tournaments. We need to beat Penn and go from there. As has been noted elsewhere Penn is a stronger than usual 16 seed.