Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

2018 NCAA Tournament TV schedule

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17386 by HawkErrant
ENJOY!

ROCK CHALK!

Link to NCAA.com TV Schedule

NOTE WELL — this official schedule shows #1 KU v #16 Penn this Thursday at 1:00 PM CENTRAL on TBS

BUT BE ADVISED — my programmed recording on DirecTV shows a start time of 12:50 PM!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Updated the time for Central time and change noted in the schedule
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17409 by HawkErrant
Updated the time for Central Time and for a slight change in the actual TV listing (1:50PM ET changed to 2:00PM ET since last night).

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 1 month ago #17410 by JRhawk
Thanks HE - note that KU and WSU both got shafted on tv coverage also - note the teams whose games are on CBS (the only over-the-air station among the 4). Duke, UNC, UK, MSU, AU - Only KU and Nova (recent high-flyer) not on the list. The NCAA and it's corporate cronies are on my last nerve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17412 by HawkErrant
Thanks for catching that, JR. I did not notice that because we don't do over the air -- it's either satellite or internet in our house.

I do note that the NCAA.com TV schedule also has a streaming link for each game that takes the user to an NCAA.com streaming site set up for that game. No having to look around elsewhere on the site to find the game you want. No other app is needed in between to see the games. Each game can be streamed to a computer, and if you can mirror your computer to your TV (or just connect your computer to your TV via HDMI cable for the best picture), you still get to watch on the big screen.

So although OTA-only households are limited to those CBS games, the NCAA does seem to be making every effort to enhance viewing opportunities for as many as possible.

And you have to admit if ABC and NBC joined up with CBS to provide OTA coverage for the whole tournament... well, then we'd be on the lookout for a significant uptick in human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together and other forms of mass hysteria.

More
6 years 1 month ago #17419 by JRhawk
Ich verstehen HE. Will watch via the internet as did most of KU games this year. Most times the reception is okay, but we have slow DSL too. My point is, given there is one OTA station covering the tourney, only KU was froze out among the blue-bloods. Of course to be fair, they froze out all the one seeds. That's what you get when Ted Turner takes over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17420 by HawkErrant
Yeah, i got your point, JR. It's the sitting at the kiddie table slight, and I'm also not crazy about it.
Guess KU (and the Big 12) just gotta win to get some more national respect.

DSL?

Dang, I figured you were cable cutters, but I didn't realize you were using the equivalent of a steam engine to access the Net!

How fast is your DSL connection?

We stopped using DSL for cable years ago, but I know the DSL tech is vastly improved since then.

With watching Netflix and Amazon Prime and computing, I've pegged us at 60 Mbps download minimum (and the internet speed tests work out to just a little better than that).

More
6 years 1 month ago #17422 by JRhawk
HE - We're 7 miles from nowhere, so feel lucky that the phone company upgraded to a nominal 1.5Mbps several years ago. It usually tests at 1.2Mbps download. Yes there are options available, but don't feel like paying the price. This speed works fine for email and general browsing. Should bite the bullet and get Dish Network for tv watching.
Wow, you're big time speed there, but take it you are in Lawrence proper.
Will post separately to Konza, but was not able to get tickets to Wichita, even though was online the second the early NCAA sale started last fall. Of course are tickets available, but not for face value. My first on scene action will be at the Midwest Regional in Omaha. Am looking forward to that.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17424 by HawkErrant
I understand the cost argument completely, JR. Anna and I are both retired, so our retirement plans and investments are what keep us afloat these days. Thankfully we socked a lot away over the 34 years we've been married, so we are in good shape and can afford some luxuries like higher speed internet access and the occasional trip to see friends in Hawai'i and elsewhere.

We finally got DirecTV last year because we got tired of the constant cable price increases that were accompanied by the elimination of some of our favorite channels (e.g., BBC America). We cut the TV cord with MIDCO (the latest owner of what used to be Sunflower Cable) but kept their Internet access.

When we moved to DirectTV we were also going to go to ATT Internet, as they told us our neighborhood in NW Lawrence had fiber optic cable and could easily handle the speeds we wanted and even more if we desired to upgrade later. But we ended up keeping MIDCO solely for our ISP because the ATT story wasn't quite true.

The ATT tech who came to setup ATT access told us there was indeed a fiber optic node they had run into our general neighborhood a few years back, but ATT has NEVER found it cost effective to run any lines off of that node (which is only about 1/2 mile away from us as the crow flies), so the best their tech could give us wouldn't even top 20 Mbps. Since that was not what we signed up for, we canceled the ISP part of the contract with them and stayed with MIDCO. Still ended up saving about $100/month on our old TV&ISP bill, so it's been well worth the change.

And we've been very happy with DirecTV, would not go back to cable TV at all at this point.

Too bad about the Wichita tickets for KU. Here's to KU making it to Omaha (and beyond), and Wichita State getting to Boston (and beyond). Looks like the only way for the two to meet is to make the Final Four. Too bad they didn't set it up so that two Kansas schools had the opportunity to play each other in the title game. Of course, the TV folks would be apoplectic if that ever actually happened!

Have fun in Omaha!

The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

More
6 years 1 month ago #17444 by JRhawk
The board bit me again yesterday afternoon, so just sent an email to your personal account.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17476 by HawkErrant
Will check email, thanks!

BTW, the NCAA.com streaming site requires logging in with your TV provider (cable or satellite), so not sure “over the air” and “over the top” (sling, Amazon fire and the like) viewers can use it.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 1 month ago #17502 by HawkErrant
NOTICE — TV listing still show the 12:50 start time on TBS for KU v Penn.

You have been advised!

More
6 years 1 month ago #17560 by JRhawk
KU - Seton Hall - 6:10 CDT Saturday on TBS (still the kiddie table). Villanova got moved to the big table (CBS), along with Duke, UK, and Gonzaga.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 4 weeks ago #17715 by HawkErrant
Next KU Game

CLEMSON v KU at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha
Friday March 23 6:07 PM CDT on CBS

See the official schedule on NCAA.com for the rest of the Sweet 16 games.