Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

#1 Seed in the Midwest - Starting in Wichita

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17381 by DrJHawker
Probably Michigan State and Duke (probably the two most talented teams in the country) as a probable matchup in the Elite 8. Overall what do you guys think about our bracket?
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 1 month ago #17382 by hairyhawk
I have not studied it well enough. I am just stunned that OU is in and Baylor and OSU are out.

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17383 by replayloungehawk
Personally, I think this bracket is really tough. You have two extremely good teams in Duke and Michigan St. You also have some solid teams in the lower seeds. Seton Hall will not be a slouch to beat if they advance, neither is NC State. We saw what ASU did to us earlier in the year at AFH...Clemson is very tough as well...this is a very tough bracket I think.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by replayloungehawk.

More
6 years 1 month ago #17387 by jayhawk969
MSU --Duke

You cant play them both :)

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 1 month ago #17389 by HawkErrant
hairy, I too am -- not stunned, but rather amazed -- that OU got in and OSU did not.

OU lost 2 of 3 to OSU, whose B12 record matched the Sooners, and whose overall record was better.
OU lost to ISU (no NCAAT) in Ames
OU lost to BU (no NCAAT) in Waco
OU lost 11 of its last 15 games, and it should have been 12 of 15 but for hak-a-Dok.
It did not win a road game in that stretch (and last I checked there are no home games in the NCAAT), and its only wins against teams that made the NCAAT in that stretch were against KU and KSU in Norman.
It would be a sad thing for HCBS if that OU win against KU was the feather that tilted the scale in the Sooners favor.

Let's face it, after Ben Simmons missed the NCAAT in 2016, the committee was not going to let Young miss out this year.
If not for the marquee status of Young they would not be in. The early season schedule that the Committee keeps citing in importance is their blank check to cover up their bias.
That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

replay, the talking heads on TBS agree with you.
They ranked the brackets (from softest to hardest) --
East
South
West
Midwest

Having said that, KU will not have to worry about playing both Duke and Izzo, it will be one of the other if our guys get that far.

But as HCBS said on the show today, the target for KU (and us) has to be the mini tournament coming up this weekend --
First Penn. Get past them, then focus on the winner of Seton Hall v NC State.

Best of luck wished for our guys!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk, DrJHawker

• DrJHawker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17390 by DrJHawker
Total agree. How do you pick OU over OSU when OSU was 2-0 against OU and OSU beat #1 seed KU twice and also #1 seed Xavier. OU captured national attention early but were pitiful at season's end. OSU got the shaft.

• DrJHawker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17391 by DrJHawker
Much better said HawkErrant and I agree with you on OSU. My initial thought was the same, they wanted Young in the tournament. Also thankful it's not both Duke and MSU but one or the other, and I'd imagine that's quite certain if we get to the Elite 8. Don't know anything about Penn but it would be the worse loss ever, so I don't want to go there. I assume we get past them and then either Seton Hall or NC State would be a challenge. NC State sounds like a very solid team. Yet, if we play like we did in the tournament plus Dok, I'm very confident about our chances of another Elite 8.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by DrJHawker.

More
6 years 1 month ago #17392 by hairyhawk
As for our bracket all I can say is all the teams should be tough, It is the NCAA tournament. NC State has a 7 footer that shoots over 50% from 3pt range. That could be a bad match up for Dok . They could also use him to pull our rim protector out. I know Seton Hall is pretty solid since they beat TX Tech in Nov. Either way if we can beat Penn it will be a tough game. Past that all the teams look tough though if the seeds hold neither Clemson nor Auburn finished the season hot. Which in reality means nothing. I think both Puke and MSU are really strong and it could be a heavy weight fight in the EE. I do not see it as any worse than other years.

More
6 years 1 month ago #17393 by JhawkMom
I would rather play Puke but I think Michigan state will beat them.

I too was disheartened to see okies left out. They deserve in after their great wins. Too bad there's no appeals court! I hope they win the NIT! I hope Oklahoma loses in first round even if it looks bad for the Big 12.

More
6 years 1 month ago #17395 by JRhawk
S - I don't have to go past the 1st round to see that KU got screwed. #1 seed order is VA, Nova, KU, Xavier. I would argue that play-in teams are at a disadvantage, with the additional game. Using Sagarin (S) and Ken Pomery (KP) ratings, VA has UMBC (189S - 184KP), Nova has the winner of LIU Brooklyn(256S - 251KP) & Radford (190S - 170KP), KU has Penn (121S - 127KP), while Xavier has the winner of NC Central (295S - 309KP) & Texas So (242S - 249KP). So instead of Xavier getting the easiest teams of the 4, they should have had Penn (assuming Penn is a 16 seed). Lipscomb has 168S & 165KP and CSU Fullerton has 171S & 153KP, so either of those teams appear to be more 16 seed caliber than Penn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant