Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

This KU team can beat any other team on any given day or night...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17233 by konza63
I wanted to submit this thought because it might have gotten lost (if not torpedoed completely) in that well-commented thread about seeding.

I want to be clear about it, because that thread might have seemed like it had a lot of pessimism or cynicism about this team, which was not my intent. My point was more about the broader sweep of history and KU 1 seeds leading to lofty expectations that were then (too often) dashed in the actual tourney competition.

I truly believe this team would be far better off as a "hungry" (and maybe a little miffed) 2-seed than a 1-seed. But we've had that discussion. Now I'd just like to underscore what I've said at other times throughout the year, which is that this squad, when it's hitting on all cylinders (defensively and, for this team, with 3-point efficiency) and breaks are falling its way (for this team, mainly Dok not being in foul trouble), can most definitely compete with - and defeat - any team in the field this year. That is a testament to the grit and tenacity of this Devonte-led team ... a testament to Self's and the staff's coaching prowess ... and the lack of a truly elite, dominant team elsewhere in the land this season.

My biggest concern is the ability of a team built like this KU one (living and dying by the 3, and by Dok's ability to stay out of foul trouble) to put together a sustained 6-game run in consecutive fashion.

Can it be done? Of course. It's definitely plausible. Are the odds good? No. But we can hope. And the odds aren't necessarily good for any other team, either, so there's that.

We just have to hope that we catch lightning in a bottle, and for the variables cited above to hold. I would add one more variable: that none of our starters get in foul trouble. (Not just Dok) The reason I would add that to the mix is we have had two years in a row now where the night KU got eliminated from the tournament, a critical player not known for foul trouble got uncharacteristically whistled up too early and taken out of the game (out of our attack). Against Villanova, it was Devonte Graham being taken out of the action during a crucial run in the second half with very dubious calls by a ref that it turned out hails from Philly. :angry: And last year, Josh Jackson was taken out of the Oregon game in the first few minutes (!) with 2 quick fouls. Oregon then got in a flow, got the big lead, and we never recovered.

Given our razor-thin depth this year (not only inside, but on the wings -- there is a HUGE drop-off if any of the 3 of Graham, Svi, or Newman get into foul trouble), we simply cannot afford to have major foul trouble in any of the games during the Dance. If we can avoid that, and if we can avoid a day or night where none of our wings can hit the broad side of a barn from behind the arc, we have a shot. The margin for error is minuscule, but we have a shot.

There's my "glass-half full" post before the tourney. ;)

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.