Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Good win for a number of reasons

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17222 by NotOstertag
Enjoyed today's game quite a bit. After the slow start, there was a lot of good stuff to see. In no particular order:

-Got revenge vs. OSU. Apparently one of their players during their early run said something to the KU bench. Have a nice bus ride home, pal.

-Won without Dok. This is huge. We had to figure out a way to do it. DeSousa got solid minutes and played well for him. Lightfoot also played well. Between the two of them, the combined stats were pretty decent.

-Newman. He sure woke up today. Good to see. Hope he makes a trend out of it.

-Vick. Did nothing in the first half. A little better in the 2nd. The guy still drives me nuts. Several times on offense, he'd lurk in the corner hoping for a pass. When somebody'd put up a shot, he'd stroll back toward defense....no hustle, no crashing for an offensive board. He did, however have a couple of hustle plays, and a GREAT baseline drive for a jam. I SO wish he'd do that more often and have no idea why he doesn't.

Also loved when Devonte came over and pulled HCBS away from the ref he was jawing at. Not many players can go grab their coach and pull him out of a conversation he shouldn't be having. To me, the DG/HCBS relationship can be summed up in the photo of them walking back to the lockerroom after the Tech win laughing with their arms around each other. I know DG didn't have a dad, and I think in man ways, HCBS has taken on some of that role for DG. Couldn't be happier about it.

Bottom line, it was good to see us find another way to win. Now let's go get the kitties tomorrow.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, Hawknmo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 1 month ago #17223 by Hawknmo
Agreed! Especially number two.

Winning with Lightfoot and DeSousa was very important for everyone especially the guy cashing the big checks. With this short of a bench this year it has been amazing to me how quick of a hook HCBS still utilized. Now far be it from me to arm chair coach but if today’s game showed nothing else it was that these two guys can play. They might not be the monster that Doke is but they can contribute and be positive players. If it were me, thank all that is holy that it isn’t, seeing these kind of minutes from both guys would have been more routine.

I have expressed my thoughts on Vick in other posts but I think it bears repeating...”lurk” might be the ultimate term. There are four guys running, passing and cutting and then there’s Vick. It really is disturbing to watch. He did make a couple timely shots and the steals and assists were pretty good too, but that “lurking”.....tough to watch from a guy wearing our colors.

Malik was outstanding. Made the shots and drives we all heard about for the past year. Guy stepped up big.

Beating OSU was a huge mental thing I think. Also it was good that there was no doubt. Winnning this game by 2-3 might have been a really bad omen for tomorrow and could have been physically draining as well. Nice to be able hit the cruise with 4-5 minutes to go.

Tough break for KSU with Wade but now we are kind of even. Clearly tomorrow’s game will be about guard play. It is no doubt very tough to 3peat but I like our chances if DG or Svi can really find their range.

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17225 by konza63
Agree with everything you said, NotO.

And it's interesting that the TT post-game tunnel photo stood out to you, because it really did for me too. So much so that I flagged it and posted it on Facebook with a simple comment (knowing that many on there don't follow hoops in detail but might appreciate the captured moment):

"The Coach and his court leader on their way to the locker room after securing the championship.

This simple photo speaks volumes. So much hard work. So much rapport and trust. So much love and respect."

I find your comments spot on, and smiled in knowing that you, too, zoned in on it out of the thousands of pictures taken in a given season. To me it's the definitive shot of the year, this team, and Devonte's entire, amazing run at KU.

Incidentally, I closed my FB post with the following:

"You could replicate this shot for 14 straight years around this time on the calendar, with the players changing but the Hall of Fame coach remaining the constant.

#RCJHKU14"

:-)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, LadyHawk, gorillahawk

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17231 by NotOstertag
Yep, that photo is how I'll always picture Devonte.

As for Vick, if my stupid butt can see what's going on, I can imagine that it's escaping HCBS eyes. Kind of makes me wonder if that's what he's SUPPOSED to be doing in order to give DG/Svi/Newman room to slash? I simply don't get it. I saw one possession where Vick hovered near the corner for 10-15 seconds, a shot went up, and he started slowly jogging back the other way. Not even a brief thought of going after a rebound. Granted, he played a little better yesterday, but there's so much potential there that's going unused.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17232 by konza63
I couldn't agree more on Vick. It's truly baffling.

Sometimes the lack of simple court IQ is telling, and it can even affect the otherwise seemingly sound players. A case in point that I saw yesterday: Marcus Garrett was positioned between the right block and wing (if one is looking at the basket) on a KU offensive possession. Someone (probably Vick since it was a miss, lol) chucked up a three from the far left wing. The ball caromed off the right side toward the baseline corner. Garrett just stood in his spot and never made an effort to go for the rebound. But even worse was what I saw next. The ball literally bounced long and was rebounded in the extreme baseline corner by an OSU player, who wound up facing out of bounds for a second as he corralled the ball.

My question is this: What does Basketball 101 tell you you should do on a long shot like that and a ball that flies to the deep corner baseline in the hands of the defense (for a changeover in possession)? For me, it's a no-brainer. It's an obvious quick-trap situation, even if you're not in a press defense. It's on the rebound, so he should've been flying for it anyway. But then he compounded the mistake by not even making a hint of an effort (he literally didn't even move in the direction of the ball or the OSU player). That is the worst position on the court for a ball-handler, and the optimal position for a defender, because just going into defense there creates the equivalent of THREE defenders on one ball-handler (with the sideline and baseline creating two defenders - because paths are cut off and there is no place to go - and the player becoming the third). Garrett instead just let it go passively, without even thinking of the alternative (which was most disappointing for me), then simply turned around and ran up the court. He conceded a change of possession to OSU that could've easily been challenged to KU's favor.

Anyway, not to pick on Garrett, but sometimes you see things like this. And this is from someone who tends to *try* to look for positives instead of negatives in our players' performances.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by konza63.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #17234 by NotOstertag
LOL! We must have had the same coach as kids (or it's just basketball 101 as you say). Pick up the ball next to ANY out of bounds line, and any 2nd defender should come over and trap. I think I know the play you were referring to.

Oh well. Hoping we can get it done vs. the Kitties.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63