Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Udoka's dunk totals and other fun stats (from Keegan)

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16954 by porthawk
I really enjoy the chart embedded in the article. Would love to see a higher FT % in the last 5 minutes of games.

www2.kusports.com/weblogs/keegan-lunch-b...es-century-mark-in-/
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, KMT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 2 months ago #16969 by NotOstertag
Saw this and agree, great chart.

I was actually surprised to see that Vick is tied for 3rd on the team for floor burns with 25 (DG has 40, Dok has 31). I've always loved that stat because it is such a good indicator of who's being aggressive.

Based my surprise, I decided to dig a little deeper into the floor burns and look at it as a "floor burns per minute" stat and then extrapolate it to a "floor burns per 40 minute game" stat. Since it figures that if you play a lot of minutes you have more OPPORTUNITY for floor burns, this levels the playing field somewhat. Without further ado, here's the data (ranked):
1.) Lightfoot (25 floor burns, 421 minutes): 2.38 floor burns per 40 minutes.
2.) Dok (31 burns, 733 mins): 1.69 burns/40 min
3.) Devonte (40 burns, 1121 mins): 1.43 burns/40 min
4.) Vick (25 burns, 979 mins): 1.02 burns/40 min
5.) Svi (24 burns, 1038 mins): 0.92 burns/40 min
6.) Garrett (12 burns, 584 mins): 0.82 burns/40 min
7.) Newman (13 burns, 920 mins): 0.56 burns/40 min

Note, Cunliffe, Teahan, and Young each have 1 floor burn, but due to their low minutes, I left them out because I didn't want to throw the data off.

So now let's dig a little deeper: this group racked up 170 floor burns in 5796 minutes, which means that the average for the team is 1.17 burns per 40 minutes. Translation: Lightfoot, Dok, and Devonte are all above average in floor burns, and the rest are all performing BELOW average for the team. This stat actually backs up what my non-scientific "eye test" tells me about these guys.

Summary:
-Lightfoot: Absolutely not surprised in the least that he has the most frequent floor burns when he's on the court. I would have been shocked had he NOT been hovering near the top.

-Dok: Kind of surprising. Big guys don't seem to go to the deck as often as littler guys, so this was a pleasant surprise. Good on ya, Big Fella.

-Devonte: No surprise here. Great player, huge heart, gives 100% all the time.

-Vick: Surprised he was ranked as high as he was, but the fact that he's in the "below average" clarifies things.

-Svi: Very surprised because the effort seems to be there with him consistently. Thought he'd be "above average" and certainly above Vick.

-Garrett: Mild surprise here because I put him in 2nd place in the "not a starter, but gives 100% every time" category.

-Newman: Sadly, not surprised. For the first half of the season, he seemed content to stand around waiting to shoot a 3. He figured out he had to do more on offense and started playing better. Still not a lock down defender. Seems that he's been slowly progressing from an "entitled" player who has always had things handed to him and has a way to go to be a truly "hungry" player like Lightfoot.

Anyway, floor burns obviously don't tell the whole story, and for some of these guys going to the floor might not have always been the best option for every loose ball. Nevertheless, it's a very interesting indicator.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.