Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Drop the last two teams and make it an 8 team tourney...

More
6 years 2 months ago #16933 by Kong
I really don't like the byes and uneven nature of these kinds of brackets. Why not make the regular season mean something to the middle and bottom of the pack. Don't give up or you won't see ANY post season play.

I am not talking about just the Big 12, but all those funky byes in the other conferences. Just even it off at something that makes more sense

I know. Pure heresy

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16934 by HawkErrant
I like the idea. It also helps to thin out potential wildcard bubble busters.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 2 months ago #16940 by porthawk
Yup, I like that idea, too. The ACC has two rounds of byes (see the graphic in the link): www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index....t_started_today.html

More
6 years 2 months ago #16945 by NotOstertag
Yeah....maybe. The tournament would lose 2 days of revenue, so I don't think it'll happen.

I'm not a fan of the conference tourneys anyway. For small conferences, they're unfair. Congrats on winning the Patriot League, but that 3 seed who was barely over .500 who got lucky and beat you is going to the tournament instead of you.

For big conferences, the ONLY thing they accomplish is muddying the bubble watching.

It's all about the money. If they stopped holding them, I wouldn't miss them. Add an additional week to the non-conference season instead.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16949 by Wheatstate Gal
I agree. I'm old enough to recall the BIG 8 preseason tourney in Municipal Auditorium in KC. (I cannot recall exactly, but I don't think the pre season tourney ever moved to Kemper.)

I whole-heartedly agree on the "Patriot League" scenario. I always feel badly -- is that how we got UC Davis last year? They won the Big West tourney?--for the small conferences who send a not great, but hot tourney team to the Dance and the real conf champ goes home because their stats don't often qualify them for an "at large" spot.

AND mostly, I worry about someone getting hurt, badly. All about the money.

SAD!

;-)

More
6 years 2 months ago #16951 by rainyhawk
You’ve nailed the tourney issue for me..that the regular season means zip and the tourney champ means everything for the NCAA. As you noted, not as bad in the major conferences but truly unfair for the smaller conferences who are only getting the one team in. Sends the wrong message. Guess it’s all about the $$ yet again. Otherwise the tourneys might not be around as they, in my opinion, accomplish nothing important. The regular season champ should be the auto bid and, if someone else wins the conference tourney, they get additional consideration for the big one...nothing more.