Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Question re Trae Young

• JhawkMom
  • JhawkMom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16893 by JhawkMom
Seeing as how Oklahoma only had 18 points in the first half, I kinda think Trae's talent is wasted at Oklahoma. Did KU show any interest in him during recruitment?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 2 months ago #16897 by AZhawk87
I believe his final two schools were KU and OU.

He's from the OU area and stayed so his family could watch him play what is surely a one and done season. He will still get drafted top 5 (if not higher) so while his one college season turned out to be a bust, he'll be fine.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16899 by USAF Jayhawk
At his selection interview he said that his choice was between extending the KU streak or ending it at home. He chose the latter. "He chose...poorly"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, gorillahawk, KMT

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 2 months ago #16901 by konza63
:lol: ;) :P :evil:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16904 by HawkErrant

USAF Jayhawk wrote: At his selection interview he said that his choice was between extending the KU streak or ending it at home. He chose the latter. "He chose...poorly"

Must be movie reference night!. Rock Chalk on....
:woohoo: :blink: :side: :silly: :unsure: :dry: :huh: :lol: :woohoo: :evil:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16911 by Wheatstate Gal
I love this Board. Clever.

• JhawkMom
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16914 by JhawkMom
I wonder if he has any regrets? He sure looked sad/mad tonight. I feel sorry for him. He could have achieved so much with our guys. Perhaps even a national championship in April. I'm sure he lost POY. Everyone who brings it up agrees. That's okay cause I never thought he was better than Devonte, who WILL get it, and deserved. He will be forgotten next year while Devonte will see his number flying in the rafters of AFH!!!!!!0

More
6 years 2 months ago #16923 by NotOstertag
"He chose poorly".....well played! lol.

As for regret, I doubt it. Had he come here he would have had to compete for time with Devonte and Svi. I'm sure he would have found plenty of minutes, but he would have been part of an ensemble.

At OU, he was the whole show, which helped him get the kind of numbers he got in the 1st half of the season. There was one game where he really got called out for ball hogging, which would not have been tolerated by Self.

So in terms of his own one-and-done ambitions and making a name for himself, he probably benefited from going to OU where he didn't have to share a spotlight.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 2 months ago #16927 by Kong
I recall hearing that Self was recruiting him and while pitching his Dad, his Dad said something like "you know you won't do that with him" they both sort of laughed about it, Self agreed and then asked to make sure that he went to OU and keep the talent in the Big 12.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
6 years 2 months ago #16929 by LadyHawk
Here are a couple of articles regarding the recruitment of Trae Young.

At the end of this one is a picture of Lon Kruger and Bill Self in a high school gym watching Trae Young:
www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2017...ys-5-star-2017-pg-i/

This one is a long slog. Toward the end is a quote from Trae's father indicating his preference that Trae choose Kansas:
usatodayhss.com/2017/all-access-all-usa-...ecruiting-roundtable

“Well, in my opinion, Kansas is the school you need to go to,” Ray says. “You’ve got the best of both worlds: Blue blood and close proximity so we can come see you play. You’ll have Billy Preston, Devonte’ Graham, Udoka Azubuike, Malik Newman, Lagerald Vick… You’ll be playing deep in March.”

I recall seeing the quote that Kong mentions as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #16965 by porthawk
I don't begrudge him for making the comment, but it's not like he was even close to making it happen.

"I want to break Kansas' [Big 12 title] streak," Young said. "It's not going to be easy, by any means, but that's something that I'm going to be hard on all year. If I would have went to Kansas, I would have been a little bit different, but I wanted to break that streak. That's my goal. We're gonna do it. I have all faith in God that that's what his plan is."

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...ooners-hometown-hero
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by porthawk.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16966 by mtnMan
And it may have only been Sean Miller's 100K phone conversation that got Ayton to AZ instead of Kansas. Many thought the Jayhawks were his first choice until he suddenly flipped to AZ. And we were in the running with Sexton who chose Alabama. We ended being thin this year but we might have been overstocked if all those choices had gone differently. Perhaps next year we are overstocked, but it will be fun to see how HCBS deals with that problem.

• JhawkMom
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16977 by JhawkMom
Boy, I'd love to have problems like too many great players instead of our short bench today, so it will be an awesome year. The summer can't come and go fast enough lol

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16980 by HawkErrant

mtnMan wrote: And it may have only been Sean Miller's 100K phone conversation that got Ayton to AZ instead of Kansas. Many thought the Jayhawks were his first choice until he suddenly flipped to AZ. And we were in the running with Sexton who chose Alabama. We ended being thin this year but we might have been overstocked if all those choices had gone differently. Perhaps next year we are overstocked, but it will be fun to see how HCBS deals with that problem.

Add 7 footer Kaleb Tarczewski to the "Money?" list.
Like Ayton, everyone thought KT was heading to KU, but when he committed in 2012 he chose AZ.

Thngs that make you go "hmmm".
Did then, even more so now.
Would love another wiretap "smoking gun" on him just to lock in Miller's fate (if it isn't already).

Of course, after the University of Non-Compliance scandal, no way of knowing how this will turn out.
But AZ suffers from one fatal flaw in dealing with the Not Committed to Athletes' Academics -- it is not the tarred ones.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"