Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

1st goal (#14) achieved. Thoughts on Big 12 tournament and NCAAs

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16872 by NotOstertag
With the exception of our trip to OSU on Saturday (which I want us to win obviously, but has little/no impact on what happens next), the regular season is in the books, and we extended the streak to 14. Senior night was great, and the journey to get here was anything but smooth. Credit HCBS, Devonte and Svi for making this happen. Frankly I'm exhausted, but very satisfied.

As for the next steps, I honestly say I really don't care that much. Any success we have will be nice icing on the cake, but this team continues to dance on the razor's edge between great success and utter failure. Life experience has shown me that you can't count on good fortune continue to blow your way all the time. And with the one-and-out format coming up, I don't see us pulling off 9 consecutive tournament wins (Big 12 and NCAA) to earn two more titles.

The only reason I care about the Big 12 tournament is that I don't want us to put our #1 seed in jeopardy. I don't think that would happen regardless of what happens, so if anything I just want us to remain healthy so we head into the NCAA's at full strength. A deeper run in the Big 12 would also give De Sousa some extra playing opportunities, along with Garrett so that maybe they'll be more prepared for the NCAA. Dare to dream? Maybe it'll give Vick an opportunity to figure out his game too. Nevertheless, whether we win or go home matters very little to me. Probably the only other thing that has ANY relevance to me with the Big 12 tournament is that if we DON'T win it, there will be some idiot announcers who will refer to the tournament champion as "Big 12 Champions" which is both ignorant and annoying.

I do actually care about the NCAA tournament, but I have low expectations for this team. That's not a knock on any of our guys but instead just speaks to the lack of depth we have particularly in the front court. It won't be unusual for us to face teams in the tourney that are 2-3 guys deep at center who are all big bodies. Dok is typically one bad whistle from having to sit down, and while I love Mitch, he's often over matched when he has to play bigger/stronger bigs. While De Silva MIGHT be our next Cole Aldrich and suddenly burst out of his shell, you can't count on that. If we assume that each round will present us with increasingly tougher competition, I'd really only be upset if we lose in the first round. Mildly disappointed if we lose in round 2.

At this point, I'm happy with that 14th trophy.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, JRhawk, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, jayhawk969, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16879 by HawkErrant
Agree with everything you wrote, NotO, and will add...

While ideally the guys would end the season on a 15 game winning streak -- winning the revenge game at OSU and ending the season 34-6 with another Big 12 Tournament and NCAA Tournament title -- we all know the odds are well against it.

BUT if the cards do not fall their way and they do not win either the Big 12 or NCAA tourneys, my last 2 big hopes are
(1) that they win enough games to end with at least 31 wins*, and
(2) they win at least as many games from here on out -- preferably more -- as kensucky, the tarred ones and puke.

I would be happy with them reaching those win levels.
IGWS (but I'll say it anyway) I'd be ecstatic if they managed to win the NCAAT.

*Bill's KU teams have averaged 29.7 wins a year over his first 14 years (2003-04 thru 2016-17).
Over the 11 years since the two Killer B postseasons (2006-07 thru 2016-17), they have averaged 31.3 wins a year.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #16880 by Senex68
There are no great teams in the US today. None. Virginia plays a stifling defense. Duke doesn't play defense. Michigan State is erratic but talented and everybody else is flawed more significantly. If we get a 1 seed, and that seems to be almost certain, and we are placed in the Midwest, and we don't get screwed by the refs in our 2nd game, we will have an excellent chance of getting to the Elite 8. Beyond that depends on matchups. We could easily get to the Final 4, and it's even conceivable that we win it all, depending, of course, on matchups. This team is better at staying loose than most Self teams, and although we could shoot 3-28 from 3 and lose to anybody, it is more likely that we don't. No depth, a brain dead Vick, and the most bizarre free throw shooter in the country, working together, could be our downfall, but I am an optimist and I am surprisingly confident about this team. And I'm not at all satisfied winning the league. That is simply not enough for me, or for us. As for the Big 12 Tournament, it will be tougher to win it than to win the National Championship. We'll be playing teams we've already played twice this year, and that makes it especially unpredictable.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, gorillahawk

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16882 by NotOstertag
Good points on 31 wins and picking up games on the three teams you mentioned.

Also appreciate your optimism Senex. Agree that there aren't any really dominant teams this year, so that helps us. But as you mention, an off shooting night, drunk refs, or Dok at the free throw line are all potential stumbling blocks.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 months ago #16884 by HawkErrant
“Drunk refs”

LMAO!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #16886 by konza63
In most seasons, a Big 12 crown is just an appetizer for me on the way to the NCAAs, when my hope is always that KU will perform at a level commensurate with its superb blueblood stature. This year, however, owing to the nature of the team (lack of depth, loss of Preston, etc.), I adjusted my goals to hoping and praying they could just secure history with league crown number 14. At that point, in my thinking, anything that came after that would be gravy (or a cherry on top, depending on your palate).

I'm still pretty much in this place, because I see a team that could just as easily flame out against a determined 8/9 (Butler? Misery with Porter back in the fold? Yikes) as it could win 4 games to get to the FF.

The tourney can be such a cruel beast to even solid teams, as we discovered with so many heartbreaks over the years. The most recent one for me is the loss to Villanova, when they won it all, which my son and I saw live in the KFC Yum Center*** in Louisville. That was a night in which a Philly-based ref took Devonte out of the game in the first half with 3 ridiculously anomalous fouls. (Josh Jackson last year, anyone? Took him out of the Oregon loss game within the first 3 minutes). We've also been the victim of really horrific shooting nights in the tourney. You'd think that would be less of a threat with this team, since our shooting capacity is so dispersed, and yet we've seen the entire team go cold in losses this year.

So, who knows? I agree with Senex that the field is flawed, just like us. My gut says look out for Villanova, Virginia (improved on offense, to go along with sterling D), and Michigan State. But, again, who knows?

Obviously, like all KU fans, I want us to go as deep as possible, and always want/hope for a crown. But given that this is one of the weakest teams KU has fielded in recent memory (mainly owing to depth), I will be hoping for the best but bracing for something less than that.

In that vein, I also think that KU would be better off if they were NOT a 1-seed again, just in terms of expectations and the national narrative. Even Joe Lunardi is now calling KU the "Atlanta Braves of the NCAA," and folks - truth be told - the narrative has merit. Just as the Braves dominated their division year-in and year-out for so long, but only got one crown, so, too, has KU dominated in the Big 12 but only once in a blue moon grabs the brass ring. In other words, the Jayhawks have proven unable to obtain post-season success that is commensurate with its insane league dominance AND its elite, historical position among the bluebloods. (8, 6, 5, and 3 national crowns for UK, UNC, Puke, and KU, respectively)

We can - and must - do better on that score, or the narrative will always be as stated above. Not only that, but it will always diminish our league accomplishment as well, for those same individuals who point to the lack of elite post-season NC success can assert that KU wins a league that isn't all that great. This is a damning argument when one considers that the last time a Big 12/Big 8/MVC team not named KU won a national crown was SEVENTY-TWO years ago, with Oklahoma A&M (later to be OSU) of Henry Iba days. And if you take away Oklahoma A&M's back-to-back crowns in 1945-46, you are left with zero other Big 12/Big 8/MVC schools having ever hoisted a crown outside of KU. That sad fact won't win you many arguments about how great the Big 12 is.

Now, we know that isn't a fair measure of how strong the Big 12 is as a contemporary power conference, which makes KU's 14-year run all the more remarkable. But for non-KU fans and folks who don't know as much about the Big 12, they can dismiss the KU reign as a mere blip. (ESPN seems to have taken that tack, in as much as their coverage of our amazing accomplishment Saturday night was limited to a couple minutes tucked deep into the sportscast)

Some bottom lines from the rambling above:

* I'll happily pocket #14 and history as our go-to accomplishment this year
* Everything that comes in the tourney is just gravy after that...
* I'm hoping we can hit on all cylinders, avoid foul trouble (depth issues), and make a deep run
* I suspect a 6-game stretch will make bullet 3 exceedingly tough to achieve
* This year likely won't be the year we start tearing down the "Atlanta Braves" post-season problems narrative
* We need to start tearing it down as soon as possible, however, to add the final gold plating to our historical armor
* I love this year's team, regardless. And I love Bill Self, the staff, and the program.
* Long Live KU.

*** PS: In the "Many things we can be thankful for" category, as KU fans, just be glad our lads don't play their home games in the "Kentucky Fried Chicken Yum" center every night! :-) Nobody can touch the barn...

Rock Chalk.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, NotOstertag, porthawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #16887 by AZhawk87
Question: Should Self rest his guys in the conf tournament and not worry about winning it? I think that's a little of what he's done in the past, but this year a couple guys could use some fresh legs heading into March.

The downside would be how much rest to give and still keep them sharp. With two seniors, I think he could risk sitting them, knowing they are mature enough to fire it back up when needed.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 months ago #16888 by HawkErrant
Self might talk about thinking about doing that, but it’s not in his DNA.
Once the games start, all bets are off.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #16889 by gorillahawk
Love the discussion and agree with most everything...except part of the original subject line: "1st goal (#14) achieved"...that was actually my 2nd goal...the 1st goal was to Beat Kentucky!...and that we did!...again...So I've already had a good year with this team...winning the Big 12 Tourney, and even a Final Four and National Championship are always difficult but worthy dream goals...but they would be just more icing on an already tasty cake...and I love icing...and cake... Rock Chalk Jayhawks!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by gorillahawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 2 months ago #16891 by konza63
You took the words right out of my mouth, HE.

I think it would be smart to rest them "somewhat" (meaning, play DG and Svi more like 25-30, not 38-40), but the dang guy is just too competitive. :-)

I actually can't stand the conference tourneys. Every year I watch KU dominate in a full slate of league play, earning the title. Then I watch the B12 tourney with one eye closed and a wince on my face, praying for no injuries and for the players to not be too spent. Add that to the fact that, when another team wins it, they get called "Big 12 champs" by the media (as NotO said), and it's very grating.

I wish they could just rest after the regular season for a week, practice, get healed up and fired up, then let it rip. But nope...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #16898 by USAF Jayhawk
No way to improve on the thoughts expressed earlier, but a couple of comments. First, remember that the longer timeouts in the NCAA tournament mitigates the lack of depth. For once this will work in our favor.

Second, and the most telling, is that the preponderance of opinion is that this is a down year for us and that expectations are lower than normal. Yet all acknowledge that a #1 seed is probable. How spoiled we must be :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #16902 by HawkErrant

gorillahawk wrote: Love the discussion and agree with most everything...except part of the original subject line: "1st goal (#14) achieved"...that was actually my 2nd goal...the 1st goal was to Beat Kentucky!...and that we did!...again...So I've already had a good year with this team...winning the Big 12 Tourney, and even a Final Four and National Championship are always difficult but worthy dream goals...but they would be just more icing on an already tasty cake...and I love icing...and cake... Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

I believe NotO was referring to my annual KU Objectives listing of the major goals for each season that I include at the bottom of every update to the ATWP pinned thread.
#1 is always winning the regular season title.
#2 is always winning the Big 12 Tournament.
#3 is always winning the NCAA Tournament.

I submit that beating an individual team, conference foe or no, is a minor goal along the way to accomplishing the major goals.

I will concur that every year #1 at the top of that Minor Goal list would be beating the first member of the Triumvirate of Evil our beloved Jayhawks face in the early season. Or the honored foe Spartans (though their honor be tarnished today) should they appear first in the schedule. Or the demon spawn Bruins if they be the first.

There is one other, of course, but so foul we do not speak of it here.

John Sheridan, Captain of Babylon 5, on approach to Z'ha'dum.

This one's for you, Freestate69. Your sig line inspired its inclusion. RC!

Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #16956 by Governors
Seth Walder from ESPN..........here come the predictions/probabilities. Ugh.........

Glad I don't pay for insider access, that would be depressing. Could only copy the opening lines:

It has been a rocky year for the blue bloods. And it could get worse in March.

There's still some basketball to be played, and the difficulty of each team's path will crystallize on Selection Sunday, but right now, according to our Giant Killers model, the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds most vulnerable in the second round are Kansas and North Carolina. That's based on Kansas' (No. 1 seed) chance to defeat each of the No. 8 or No. 9 seeds in the latest Bracketology and UNC's (No. 2 seed) chance against the No. 7 or No. 10 seeds.

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/ins...94/high-seeds-danger
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Governors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #16957 by JRhawk
Nothing to see here. Lunardi's bracket that he referenced was Feb 26th - Missouri & Butler were the 8 & 9 seeds. Lunardi has a new one out today - now Butler and FSU. Story says KU has 3 major weaknesses: lack of depth, rebounding and DOK's free throw shooting. IMHO, lack of depth isn't an issue, since HCBS only plays 7 or 8 no matter who he has. Of course foul trouble for Dok and Mitch could be an issue, but Silvio has improved. Hopefully Dok & Mitch can stop making stupid fouls. Rebounding is an issue. Dok was 7 for 10 in last WVU game. Admittedly he looked like he had never shot one before Mon night vs UT. At least they called one a flagrant, so KU got the ball back. As long as he dunks most every shot, he already has 2 points.
The story cited UNC, Tenn, Ohio St, & URI, but we don't care about them.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16960 by asteroid
The format of three games in three days favors a team with depth. That's not us. Self can't afford to play Devonte 40 minutes a game for three days in a row. I'd say the odds are against us in the Big 12 Tournament.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16971 by NotOstertag
Good discussion.

Thoughts on "resting" some guys in the Big 12 tournament. I'm not sure that's a possibility. If anything, I'd think less "rest" and more "on the job training".

So instead of "resting Dok" I'd position it as "give De Sousa some experience in pressure situations". Instead of "resting Devonte" I'd say that "Give Garrett some experience bringing the ball up and running the offense in case Devonte can't."

Still, per the "Self's DNA" comment, I think it's the whole team's DNA. If a game is a blowout, by all means let everybody play, but if it's a tight game that we could win, I just don't see anybody on any team thinking that sitting your best players makes sense. So unless we're in a blowout (which I don't anticipate based on the quality of our conference) I don't see much "rest" happening.

On the topic of how good the Big 12 is, we've been in this situation for a while, and our conference's performance in the NCAA hasn't lived up to the hype. But if you look at the "strongest" conference rating, it's a little deceptive. It's based on the average of all the teams in your league, not necessary just your "good teams".

For example, Sagarin has the Big 12 rated at 85.56 and we have 10 teams. Our best team, KU, has a rating of 91.44 (6th in the country), and our worst team, ISU is rated at 79.08 (79th in the country). If we send 6 teams to the dance, our #6 team, Texas, is rated at 84.52 (36th in the country).

By comparison, the ACC is the #2 league, rated at 84.18. But they have 15 teams. Our WORST team is ahead of 3 of the ACC's basement dwellers (Wake, Georgia Tech, and Pitt). So not only do those 3 teams provide the ACC's good teams with 3 easy wins, it also drags down their average overall. Meanwhile, the ACC has 12 teams that are ranked higher than ISU, and 8 teams rated higher than Texas who might make the dance. If Sagarin ratings were the only factor, it would be arguable that the ACC has 8 teams that could go to the NCAAs.

For illustration purposes I used Sagarin, but I'm sure the other computer models would tell a similar tale, and the same kind of thing applies to other power conferences like the SEC and Big 10. The point is, the Big 12 is the strongest conference because our weakest team is stronger than other conferences weakest teams, but that doesn't necessarily speak to the talent level or quantity of GOOD teams in other conferences. I'm sure that anybody who had Pitt (8-23 overall, #191 out of 351 teams) on their schedule felt pretty confident heading there as opposed to going looking at ISU who are only 3 games under .500 and have beaten some good teams.

Final comment on the comments: Good point by USAF on longer timeouts. Not only does that help give guys like Devonte a breather, but it also screws with a team's rhythm. That impacts both sides. I also believe a longer timeout can help a guy like Dok who we need to keep out of foul trouble. Lots of times fouls happen because guys get tired/lazy and reach rather than moving their feet or establishing position. Giving Dok a couple of minutes to be reminded to move his feet and stay vertical.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk