Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Maybe Garrett should start

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16865 by replayloungehawk
Vick sucks. He had that one good game of late but the last two have been awful. Unless he's doing things defensively that I don't see I don't get why he still plays so much. Lazy passes and general lack of enthusiasm. It's ridiculous.

Garrett on the other hand had been very impressive. His defense is awesome! I say start him and see how Vick does off the bench.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16866 by HawkErrant
Sadly I must agree with you. Vick is simply not “in” the game, and it is going to hurt if he is not. Just don’t get it.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 2 months ago #16871 by NotOstertag
I hate hearing "Vick sucks" because you never know who reads this stuff, how it gets passed around, and most importantly what else might be going on behind the scenes personally, health wise, or in any number of areas.

That said, he's clearly not playing anywhere near his potential, he lacks energy and it's a crapshoot every time he throws a pass, almost as if he doesn't know what's SUPPOSED to be happening.

Garrett is the opposite: lots of energy, lots of effort, solid defense and BECAUSE he's not necessarily a shooter he's willing to drive and slash (which Vick SHOULD be doing but doesn't).

So yeah, give Garrett his starting slot.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 months ago #16877 by HawkErrant
Thanks for the reminder about not using the word "sucks", NotO.

I need to reinforce with folks that it is one of Dave's pet peeves, and since we are playing in his house, it's his rules, folks.

Thanks for your consideration.

HE

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 months ago #16878 by HawkErrant
I should also note that it's use is just wrong here for Vick.

When Vick plays as he is capable of playing, he is a very good to excellent player. The problem is that he appears to have some sort of issues going on that are keeping him from reaching that level of play.

Is he unhappy with Self?
Is he unhappy in his love life?
Is he unhappy in school?
Is he unhappy that his draft stock has dropped?

I have no idea what is going on with him, but whatever it is, that is why I have the feeling he will be gone after this season.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16881 by NotOstertag
True on "Dave's house, Dave's rules."

I was more talking about the generality of the statement. He's playing poorly right now. He's played well at times. Neither have any reflection, necessarily, on him as a 20 year old kid.

But yeah, start Garrett until he figures things out.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 months ago #16883 by HawkErrant
I realized your intent, NotO, but in reading your post I also realized that I was remiss in my moderator duties. I not only failed to note the infraction, I agreed with it, when what I really meant to agree to was the idea that Vick was not playing as well as he is capable of playing.

So although it might not have been your intent, I appreciate the dual impact of your post as commentary and reminder.

Rock Chalk!

The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag