Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Conference Player of the Year

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16786 by Wheatstate Gal
I know we are all basking in the afterglow of #14; but at some point, as time lays heavy on our hands, we are nervously waiting for a tip-off AND we need a diversion......would someone explain to me why Trae Young is being touted as the Conference player of the year?

I’m honestly asking....is it because of his flashy offensive (vs defensive) numbers? Leading points and assists....those stats are quantifiable and shiny?

I don’t have a thing against the kid. I’m sure he’ll have a successful, lucrative NBA career (where offense rules). BUT OU has a losing conf record (IIRC)....leads me to believe that shiny stats mean more than results?

Dunno.

Thank u!

WSG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 2 months ago #16821 by NotOstertag
Well, it's voted on by the coaches, who can't vote for their own players, so each coach will make his own judgement. Some, I'm sure, will look at stats, but having played each team twice, I'm sure that there's some "who gave us the most trouble" mixed in there too.

But since there's not a formal criteria, there's nothing wrong with a coach literally pulling a name out of a hat at random (other than the embarrassment of publicly being known as the guy who nominated a walkon for the honor).

I think Devote has a strong case. If I try to play devil's advocate against him, you COULD say that Trae Young didn't have as good a team around him, or maybe Keenan Evans also did more with less. Kind of stretching on those....it's not like Kansas was loaded with depth this year either. I also think some coaches are getting sick of our success and will pick anybody who isn't on KU for post season honors.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
6 years 2 months ago #16823 by mtnMan
Hey, we all know who the POY is. Young had a ridiculous start to the season and if he had continued at his scoring and assist pace he would have been the clear national POY. But in the Big 12 there were smart coaches and good players who figured out how to slow him down. And we have our own player who was great in pre-season but couldn't maintain it during the conference--it is a rugged conference.

But if Big 12 coaches think for just a minute who they would't want handling the ball in the last several minutes of a close game, it would be "I just wanted to win" DG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

More
6 years 2 months ago #16829 by NotOstertag
Exactly. You're up one with 20 seconds left. I'd let Trae chuck up a hopeful guarded 30 footer way before I'd want DG looking at shooting, driving or getting an assist.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16831 by Wheatstate Gal
thank you, both!
I don't like the "I'm sick of KS mentality".....but I get it.

Again, thanks!

More
6 years 2 months ago #16834 by NotOstertag
14 years is a long time. Almost feel bad for everybody else. Not really.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16839 by HawkErrant
Almost.

I remember the way anyone not associated with UCLA were sick of the Bruins success in the ‘60s and ‘70s.

Imagine how bad it would be if KU was winning NCs all the time as well.

Please... imagine it!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"