Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Unsung heros . . .

Poll: Mitch Lightfoot

Truly an underrated gift to our team.
5 33.3%
A great addition to better players.
9 60%
Does his job.
1 6.7%
Could do better (cf., Hudy)
No votes 0%
Doesn't pull his (light) weight.
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 15
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #16785 by Bayhawk
I read a book years ago -- no, I mean a specific book! -- that had a college round ball player reading a sports article while riding the team bus to a game. The article listed all the NCAA D-1 players listed from best to worst. The player wasn't really very good, but he tried to help his team the best he could. Scanning the list of players for his name he finally found it at the end. He was, according to the authors, the worst college basketball player at that time. From then on, he and his friends would select who they thought was the worst player in a sport and root for them; if only that they would improve.

My point, Mitch Lightfoot can't even see the worst player from his spot on a ranking of players, but he is clearly the most undersized "bean pole" of a back-up Center (or even a four) I think the Jayhawks have ever used. Nonetheless, the guy has the heart of a lion. He will never be "BIFM" or "Frank the Tank" but he stands in the forest of trees and takes charges and does battle with the likes of Udounkie sized giants. His box score will never stand out, but he is the quintessential "Do no harm" with a knack for blocks and taking charges. I love the guy and nominate him for this seasons "unsung hero" award (first annual) with all the rights and responsibilities it entails.

Please enjoy the poll,

RC
#14 and counting . . .

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Bayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, Hawknmo, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 2 months ago #16788 by LKF_HAWK
Lightfoot reminds of the history of KU players that become something special. Reed, Morningstar, Young, Traylor, Releford, Woodberry (btw one of my favorites), Scott, Jaimson
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #16800 by Hawknmo
How about Moody or Pugh? Clearly not to the level of LFKs list, but maybe more in line with who and what Mitch is and will be. I too love the heart. Will never be a Scott or Graves body double, but plays pretty fearless. Gotta love it.

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16805 by HawkErrant
I think that by the time Mitch leaves he’s going to be one of everybody’s favorites. He puts on a few more pounds of muscle under Hudy’s tutelage and continues to develop his hoops skills under the coaches and he will be a minor force to reckon with by the time he’s a senior.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 2 months ago #16806 by AZhawk87
I agree HE. Think about it - he's a true sophomore. He's playing a big role this year, which most sophomores don't do at KU.

He generally makes a couple big plays per game. He very often just does his job and doesn't do anything spectacular. But most importantly he rarely makes a big mistake. I don't cringe when he's in, and he is usually our only big man cuz Dok can't stop making dumb fouls.

I look for him to be a Chris Piper. Always hustling. Always in the right position. Making 3-5 important plays per game. And never hurting us. I think his 10 foot shot will be solid, and he'll take some pressure off our 5s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #16816 by NotOstertag
Chris Piper is a good analogy.

He's been playing out of his natural position all year and doing a decent job of it. He's going 100% all the time and makes few mistakes. The only thing that he CAN'T do is compete effectively when he's go to guard a 7 footer who he's giving up 4" and 50 pounds to.

But here's why I say he's underrated: I'm sure that the scouting report reflects what we know....undersized, but hustles. Not a huge scoring threat, and can't body up against bigger post players. So the other teams' bigs read this and think, "ok, I've got this." Then the find themselves on the wrong side of getting their shots blocked, and losing 50/50 balls.

I think a lot of opponents don't worry about him, and then realize that he's a lot better than they thought.....which is pretty much the definition of "underrated", isn't it?

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

More
6 years 2 months ago #16820 by hairyhawk
I think you have a good point about being underrated. He does a lot of very good things for the team. I think he has longer arms than people expect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, NotOstertag

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16835 by HawkErrant
And Mitch has the shot blocker knack.
Having the size is one thing, and true, he’s not a shorty, but he’s still not a giant.

But he also has the knack — the combination of timing, vision and understanding of shooters moves and habits that comes from experience, so subtle to the casual fan that it almost seems like intuition — that makes for a solid shot blocker.

Oh, yeah, despite the negative commentary he gets in some corners (mostly because he’s been playing in the 5 all year because we’ve needed him to do so), he’s going to be a fan favorite Big Time (if he isn’t already) once he gets to play his natural position over the next two seasons.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk