Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Practical question...

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16740 by NotOstertag
Do we host Frank and Devonte's jersey retirement ceremonies at the same time, or on the same weekend? I'd kind of like to get it done all at once.

Frank cast a pretty big shadow. Devonte is well clear of it.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, texkan, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16741 by NotOstertag
PS: Hi HawkErrant. :)

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16742 by Wheatstate Gal
LOVE IT AND THHHHHHTH UCLA.

you KNOW which apple emoji I’m dying to use right now!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, NotOstertag

More
6 years 2 months ago #16744 by porthawk
Very well stated, NotO!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16745 by HawkErrant
Same weekend, as was just done with Sherron and Cole.

Of course, despite all he has done to date Devonté has yet to meet one of the hardcore criteria for making the rafters.

But since the criteria have been eased, and as there is no question this team does not win its historic #14 without him, I think we can be pretty sure his jersey is going to make it.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 2 months ago #16752 by hairyhawk
I do not think you could even list all of the great plays Devonte made that game. From the 3 with time running out on the shot clock to the cross court bounce pass for the open 3. He was nothing less than spectacular.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16755 by Hawknmo
If you’re starting a poll my vote would be batman and robin, peanut butter and jelly, milk and cookies, Sonny and Cher, Donnie and Marie....wow, probably too far....together.

RKCKJHK!!!

More
6 years 2 months ago #16759 by hairyhawk
I know I have heard a lot of talk about next years team being really strong with both the transfers and the recruits. I do know the folks will have some awfully big shoes to fill and we will really miss Devonte even more for his leadership than just his stellar play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 2 months ago #16763 by mtnMan
DG was awesome. And does he also win the award for the happiest Jayhawk ever? always smiling. always upbeat. I'm not sure I heard this right but I think when the interviewer asked him what inspired his second half performance, he said, "I just wanted to win."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, LadyHawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 2 months ago #16764 by konza63
Yep, you heard that right, MtnMan. She thought she was going to get an Xs and Os answer, and instead he said exactly what you said...after just having finished walking the walk on his talk. :-)

He was utterly insane today. It was a superb win (other than a temporary tie, KU led coast to coast) with many contributions, but Devonte simply put the team on his back in key stretches and was a man among boys.

And to think, KU and its fan base has had the distinct pleasure, benefit, and enjoyment of TWO world-class leaders back to back at the point, both of whom possess the hearts of lions and take more pride in wearing that shirt than any of us can even IMAGINE.

Words fail at how proud I am of Sir Graham, Coach Self, all the players, all the staff, everyone. Words fail.

#RCJHKU14!!!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, porthawk, Wheatstate Gal