Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

FBI Case - More names named...Josh Jackson

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16692 by NotOstertag
sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-docum...hools-103338484.html

Looks like Josh Jackson's mom took $2700. Other Big 12 names: Monte Morris (former ISU), Prince Ibeh (former Texas), Eric Davis (current Texas), and Michael Beasley (former KSU),

It's all from the expense reports from an agent.

KU isn't being called out specifically like some other programs, and if Jackson is the ONLY person involved, it's quite possible that the program didn't know that his mom took some cash from an agent.

Makes you wonder what schools with current players would do at this point. I'd think that most would handle it like our Preston/Alexander issues: don't play until you can clear them.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 2 months ago #16694 by mtnMan
Keeping fingers crossed

More
6 years 2 months ago #16697 by Kong
for the teams with current players who are named.

What do they do? Do they sit them until this is resolved (meaning their college career is over)?

Will they have to vacate games they have already played? If so, when does that take effect? Will those teams be allowed to play in the tournament?

Going to be a crazy few months/years going forward, that is for sure.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
6 years 2 months ago #16699 by mtnMan
The most recent details coming out some trivial. From an SBNation article:

"The highest-profile current player mentioned in the reporter is Michigan State sophomore forward Miles Bridges, a National Player of the Year candidate. The documents cite a $400 advance to Bridges’ mother and a $70 meal for his parents, both in May 2016."

The earlier cases with the assistant coaches busted were hinting at $100,000 as price of a top player. Billy's car was a problem and KU was wise not to play him, but do you think Michigan St should be busted because an agent loaned $400 to Bridges' mom and treated his parents to a $70 meal? Here in the mountains, $70 doesn't go very far in a good restaurant.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16700 by Kong
This is the NCAA.

They have a very poor track record of making much sense.

The issue for many will be wondering what else might be out there. If they took $400, who is to say someone else didn't give them more. The open ended nature of this has to have a lot of folks very worried and wondering what they should do to show that they care.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #16702 by mtnMan
There was another example of NCAA idiocy yesterday. Arizona's Trier took a banned substance last year when a friend/relative gave him something to help with his injury. He sat out 19 games until it was entirely out of his system. Whether you believe his story or not, the punishment was administered and accepted. Recently, using a more powerful test, the NCAA detected a minuscule amount of the same PED in his system. Even the NCAA agrees that it is leftover from last year but rules are rules so they want him held out until the new more powerful test can't detect any remaining PED. The NCAA needs to take a chemistry course and learn about half-lives of drugs.

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16703 by replayloungehawk
I see Elijah Johnson on the list as well. Either way I think this is pretty stupid. If Bill Self called up someone and said "Hey give Josh Jackson's mom a loan so we can get him to KU." Then yes, that's not right. But if Josh Jackson's mom uses her sons future NBA game to get a loan now I see no way for Bill Self to control that. This is pretty idiotic.

sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-docum...hools-103338484.html

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16708 by NotOstertag
A couple of thoughts:

This is hitting so many teams that I don't think the NCAA can put them all in the dog house. I think there will be some hand slapping, but I don't think we'll be vacating anything.

If, however, you've got an active guy on the list, I think it would be prudent to sit him until you can get an ok from the NCAA....and we know how speedy they are.

What continues to irk me is that there's always the risk that the program can be hurt if they don't know about something. I doubt Cliff Alexander's mom called Self and asked if it was ok to take out a loan. In a case like that, or like Wiggins' mom, how is the program supposed to track that?

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 2 months ago #16709 by hairyhawk
I am not very informed on this but it seems to me that there are 2 separate things going on. 1 is an agent lending money to potential clients to try to gain favor. This is against NCAA rules but the school is not actually involved. Unless a coach or an assistant coach is involved. The other is the shoe companies colluding with the schools to get athletes to schools that they sponsor. That is also a violation of NCAA rules but in that case the school is involved and I would think the NCAA would deem it a much bigger offense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #16715 by Senex68
This has nothing to do with Josh Jackson. His mother got the money, most likely as a 'loan.' Jackson didn't get paid, and we don't know when the money was exchanged. He might not have even enrolled at KU. And the precedent has already been set to do nothing. See Cam Newton and his Dad for perfect example. Except, of course, that $2700 is a lot less than $100,000.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #16716 by konza63
Agreed, Peter.

And someone paying somebody's parent without a coach or school knowing is a far cry from the slimebucket activity out west:

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...ng-fbi-investigation

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16717 by AZhawk87
Something isn’t making sense. Much ado about $2700?? I’m not naive to think KU is the only clean school in the country, but if the claim is we arranged for Apple to get $2700 so Josh would select KU over Michigan St (who also is implicated) I’m not too worried about this

More
6 years 2 months ago #16720 by Illhawk
Assume two schools team A and team B are found to have similar culpability. Let's assume both had players on the court who had a family member borrowing from agents. ( Impermissible benefit) Assume in both instances the loans are found to be without any knowledge on the part of the respective coaching staff.

Assume team A defeated team B 75-72. If the NCAA vacates Team A,s victory , but vacates Team B's victories for that season what happens.

Wormhole? Havoc ?

More
6 years 2 months ago #16721 by rainyhawk
My understanding was that it was a loan by the agent to Jackson's mom so money going out from the agent. Not money going from KU or a coach to the agent for Jackson. I doubt that a $2700 loan would be sufficient to get anyone to choose one school over another--see AZ who allegedly offered to pay $100,000 to the agent for the player to pick them. Seems to me that when you get nervous is when there's evidence that the school itself (through coaches) offered to pay the agent in order to get the player. Loans, especially small ones like many that have been noted in the article, to the player's family seem to be nothing in terms of the school's liability. I'd even go further to say that small loans to a player without the knowledge of the school/coaches shouldn't affect there school (particularly ones small enough that there's no outside evidence, through spending/purchases by the player).

More
6 years 2 months ago #16722 by rainyhawk
And a lot if the sportswriters and analysts on TV have been talking about the fact that it's time for the NCAA to really do an major overhaul on the rules for eligibility. The bigger this business of college basketball gets and as the increase in money being made off of these players continues, the inequality and unfairness of the situation, re: the players, continues to grow. Also that perhaps it's time again to look at the 'one and done' rule and simply let players go to the NBA or a farm system directly from HS since many/most (?) of the players mentioned are 'one and dones'.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16723 by HawkErrant

rainyhawk wrote: And a lot if the sportswriters and analysts on TV have been talking about the fact that it's time for the NCAA to really do an major overhaul on the rules for eligibility. The bigger this business of college basketball gets and as the increase in money being made off of these players continues, the inequality and unfairness of the situation, re: the players, continues to grow. Also that perhaps it's time again to look at the 'one and done' rule and simply let players go to the NBA or a farm system directly from HS since many/most (?) of the players mentioned are 'one and dones'.

Re OAD - the NCAA can work with the NBA to try to get it changed, and I’m sure we all hope it does. But it is going to take the owners and the PA agreeing to make changes. The main thing the NCAA needs to work on is the player eligibility rules so basketball — and football - players can have agents same as college baseball and hockey players can, and don’t lose their eligibility if they enter the draft but are not drafted. Best thing for all would be for NBA, PA and NCAA to adopt the MLB/college baseball rules. Straight to pros from HS or 3 years minimum if player goes to college.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #16728 by Hawknmo
Not to point out the obvious but the ginourmous difference with this is the inclusion of the FBI in all of this. Sure, the NCAA might end up handing out sanctions after all the truly legal issues are figured out. The investigative power here is the dealio. Informants, wire taps, cell record collections...the NCAA can’t do that stuff. Whether or not whose mom took what, the evidence will be beyond reproach and sentences will be handed out. Bribery is a crime last time I checked. Afraid this will get ugly and vacating wins is going to seem like a hand slap. The huge umbrella that this is being investigated under is hard to disprove. Much like “lack of institutional control” isn’t it?

RKCKJHK!!!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Hawknmo.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16746 by hairyhawk
I wonder how much "Whether or not whose mom took what, the evidence will be beyond reproach" will be true. I was listening to a few seconds of the Dickey V show because I had not changed the channel after having to go outside and scream with joy. There is a ledger saying the agent paid for a meal for the family of a Duke player. Duke says they talked to the parents and they said there was no meal. This is the American legal system standard policy deny deny deny. I see no proof as they contend the agent falsified there expenses.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16754 by Hawknmo
Agreed that the “impermissible benefits” that include lunches, plane tickets for funerals, and new pairs of shoes will still contain some we said they said, but the truly big stuff (aka shoe companies & straight pay for play) will be well documented I believe.

RKCKJHK!!!

More
6 years 2 months ago #16756 by hairyhawk
I think you are right. I just heard that Duke was denying it and I think that will be the way most of the small stuff will go.