Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

While we wait......Vick's future?

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16678 by NotOstertag
I don't want to look past this weekend, or potential outcomes for the league race, but I for one will be absolutely THRILLED if we get #14 with the flaws we've had this year. From the Preston issue, lack of front-court and questionable up-and-down play at times from Vick and Newman (who were kept as starters most of the time because there wasn't a better option, rather than their actual performance), if we get #14, it'll be amazing.

That being said, these flaws won't necessarily disappear in the Big 12 tournament or NCAAs. Frankly, I don't care about the Big 12 tournament if we win the regular season, and I honestly would not be shocked if we don't survive the first weekend of the tournament. This isn't a criticism of this team, but we're literally one or two bad calls on Dok, or one cold 3-point shooting night away from a loss at any time, and the competition only gets steeper without any margin for error in the lose-and-go-home nature of the post season. In other words, there are still two or three avenues that will get us to #14, but there are ZERO "plan B's" in tournaments.

Looking, than, at next year, we know that Graham and Svi are graduationg (as is Clay Young). We've got a great group coming back, as well as solid players coming out of redshirt situations. I know that we're still recruiting and don't really have any scholarships to give. That leads us to possible early departures...

There are 3 guys who I see as possible transfer candidates, but only one that I think might be a real probability. Here they are in order of most likely to stay to most likely to leave:

-Newman has had his ups and downs, but I think he now "gets it" and he and Self are on the same wavelength. He still throws up the occasional too-early, bad-decision 3 point attempt, but he's countering that with better defense, driving the ball, and rebounding. Add in the fact that he's already transferred once, and I think he's staying.

-Cunliffe: never lived up to the hype (so far) and has yet to prove that he can play in Self's world. The competition isn't getting any easier for him. Nevertheless, we're looking at another 2nd transfer situation, and I'm not sure any kid wants to sit out 2 seasons of his college career. Unless he can graduate early, I think he has to stay.

-Vick: if I had to make a bet right now, I think Lagerald will finish his college career elsewhere. He too will face stiff competition next year, and it really feels like he and Self still have issues. He's been up and down like a roller coaster, and it seems like it's some kind of motivational issue. Throw in the fact that he still has baggage from his hush-hush double secret probation for hitting a girl, and if Self needs another scholarship to offer somebody, I think it might come from Lagerald. As a junior, he could still redshirt, work on his game, and have a senior season in a program where he might be a better fit. He's not ready for the NBA yet, and I'm sure he knows it.

What say you?

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 2 months ago #16681 by Kong
Next year’s class as it stands.

SENIORS
G Lagerald Vick

JUNIORS
C Udoka Azubuike
F Mitch Lightfoot
G Malik Newman (Transfer in)
F Dedric Lawson (Transfer in)
F KJ Lawson (Transfer in)
G Sam Cunliffe
F James Sosinski (Walk on)

SOPHOMORES
F Silvio DeSousa
G Marcus Garrett
G Charlie Moore (Transfer in)
G Chris Teahan (Walk on)

That’s 10 Scholarships of the 13 available.
Four incoming commitments
G Devon Dotson
G Quentin Grimes
C David McCormack
G Ochai Agbaji

This already puts us one over the limit. So Self appears to believe that at least one of the projected players will go early entry or transfer. With Newman, the Lawsons, and Moore being transfers, I don’t see them moving on and haven’t seen anything that would lead me to believe they are going pro next year.

As of this moment, about the only person I could see being drafted on their potential and what they have shown to date would be Dok. But I get the impression he is here for another year.

That means in order to fit the incoming class in, at least one has to transfer and Vick would seem to be the likely candidate unless Garrett is unhappy and we don’t know about it.

But beyond who is going to leave to make room for this class, I keep wondering who will be the Point Guard for us next year. That is an important piece that will need to be addressed in a hurry.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, NotOstertag, texkan

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16682 by Wheatstate Gal
I'm still "miffed" at Malik for swishing a three and celebrating and neglecting to run back on defense and (I believe) letting the opposition score.....a few games ago. I cudda just smacked him!

Ever since the Yacht Club "affair" last year, I have had no fondness/use for Vick.

Right now? All I want is 1) 14 outright; or 2) 14 shared. Nothing else. Not to jinx.....I'm totally fixated on 14. With the struggles and boneheaded-ness this year.....14 is it!

To paraphrase Roy: "I don't give a (bleep) about the Big 12 Tournament!"

We are not deep, we are tired.....C'mon boys.....Let's get 14.

I lived in SoCal for many years. Besides hating the traffic....I hate UCLA (and USC) I want 14+ so we don't have to share anything with UCLA.

Cranky today. Just had an oatmeal raisin snack.....probably should have had a snickers.

Even tho I added nothing....Thank you for your thoughtful posting, NotO!

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16685 by NotOstertag
Thanks for spelling it out Kong. In addition to Dok leaving early as a somewhat long shot possibility, I wonder if Self is looking at one of the commitments backing out. Maybe there's a concern about somebody's eligibility and he's hedging a bet there.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 2 months ago #16687 by hairyhawk
I think you are underestimating the chances of Doke leaving. Guys that big can find a place in the league even if they are a total stiff. I know he is not on the draft prognosticators radar but I think potential outweighs ability in the draft.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16693 by NotOstertag
I'm not thinking he's undraftable, he'd obviously get scooped up right away if he went.

I think the logic is more about the math involved. Last year, the

>#1 pick got a 2 year $15MM deal.
>#5 got $10MM.
>#10 got $6MM.
>#15 got $5MM
>After that, down to #30, it goes down to about $3MM.

So if Dok goes now and is picked up outside the top 10, he's going to make about half as much as he would have if he's in the top 10 (roughly speaking).

I won't begin to pretend to understand everything else that goes into the equation, but at some point it makes more sense to not go until you're at the top of draft potential. If you could be a top 5 pick next year and you're projected to go in the 2nd half of the first round THIS year, it might make better sense to stay since a top 5 guy will also probably get bigger/better endorsement deals and other benefits in addition to a better contract.

With Dok, it's just been very quiet, so it appears he's not thinking of leaving. Of course this is all just a guess, and if Dok left today he'd end up in the NBA immediately.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16695 by mtnMan
I've been a Vick fan since the first time I saw him play when the team went to Korea. Long, rangy, and active. He played great early this season and then had a slump. Happens to lots of players (ask Trae Young). He had a bit of trouble figuring out how he was supposed to fit in with the team. Should he defer completely to Graham, tried to feed Doke at every opportunity, try to get Newman going? He plays a position where he really needs Newman to be playing well or else the defense sags on Newman and Vick also doesn't get any feeds from Newman earlier. All that is fixed and now Vick has "returned." When Vick was asked about that he said he had never left, meaning he was trying to do the same things and playing as hard as he always has. That doesn't mean he and Self aren't so at odds that he might be happier elsewhere. In the meantime, I will enjoy contemplating Vick slashing from the wing for a thunderous dunk that will take the air out of team we are playing the remainder of the season and in the tournament

More
6 years 2 months ago #16698 by Kong
That is for sure. There are times when his energy lights up the floor.

I think his off court issues really soured a lot of folks on him.

Visualize Whirled Peas

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16707 by NotOstertag
Yes to both...he's great "at times", but seems checked out at other times. And I admit to holding grudges for off court stuff.

More
6 years 1 month ago #16729 by Hawknmo
Agree with all the above. I too like the manus mountainus loved Vick since the Korea trip. Unfortunately I do believe he has found the entrance to the HCBS canine residence. Probably for good reason. But much like others in the past his reaction to that has been counterproductive. I would love to see the young man graduate from KU next year, but with all the talent coming and the hard feelings of this season it would not surprise me to see him leave.

RKCKJHK!!!