Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Dok's improvement

• mtnMan
  • mtnMan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16503 by mtnMan
In terms of total games played, Dok is just finishing a freshman year equivalent of games. Now into the first few games of his sophomore year, he is playing better and better. He has been very active on defense. Going way out to co ver his man on ball screens, hedging them correctly, and the dashing back to cover his man in the post.

The FT fiasco at Oklahoma could have broken a lot of players. Dok's response has been to work diligently to get better and then nail 7 fo 10 on ESPN's nationally-featured game. Really fun to see him get better in all aspects.

Is he ready for the pros? Probably not but they will want to stockpile him because his potential is enormous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 2 months ago #16506 by konza63
I'm finding it hard to remember another freshman who exhibited his level of heart, no-quit, refuse-to-lose, and lay-it-all-out-there mentality that we saw tonight. He was a man possessed. It's almost as if he's a seasoned senior playing to ensure that in no way, shape or form is KU going to not win the league on his team's watch. It was THAT strong of a must-win performance tonight. He was literally flying all over the place. Getting beaten up, coming down off rebounds in odd positions and going flying to the floor, getting pushed and shoved (and yes, in one case pulling a flop), and just bringing non-stop energy on both ends.

And to hit those free throws with the calmness he had? The kid has worked so hard.

I'm really, really impressed. If he plays like he did tonight and our wings can get hot and stay hot for 3 weeks (tall task, that), there might be hope for beyond the league season as well. But first things first. Let's go get 14.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, DocBlues, mtnMan

More
6 years 2 months ago #16512 by Hawknmo
The FTs were one thing. That was a mechanical/mental issue that seems to be well on the mend. What I continue to see is the rest of the inside game. The little baby hook with both hands. The footwork to get around people. The interior passing. All pretty heady stuff for such a young guy. Now granted, it’s basically been thrust upon him, but he has responded very well. Add to that tonight’s game was against one of the stronger “true” centers in the game in Konate, and you can’t help but feel pretty good about our chances from here on. I also like that HCBS is basically telling him to dunk everything. Imposing ones will on an opponent isn’t mean or unsportsmanlike, it is trash talking with your body. As in “I just did that. You cannot stop it. I will be here all day.” You go big fella!

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, porthawk, DocBlues, mtnMan