Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Boy, Huggy Blew This One

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16473 by AZhawk87
The technicals were just the icing on the cake.

His decision to use the stall offense was the killer. I swear, more leads have been lost when you stop doing what is working and have your PG dribble out the shot clock then force a bad shot. We were dead until he made that decision. WV's intensity dissipated and we got busy and they couldn't turn the energy switch on again.

Let's keep playing Huggy and Weber. We're never out of those games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hawknmo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 2 months ago #16477 by Hawknmo
Great call AZ. Totally agree. Huggs went to the 4 corners, prevent O, kill the clock strategy wayyyy too early. For me, if you wanna play the Press Virginia way, you gotta play it like the designers drew it up. Nolan Richardson/ Mike Anderson and for me Billy Tubbs, those guys’ teams would and will hang a hundo on you if you can’t keep up. 40 minutes of heck, means 40 minutes. Taking the foot off the gas is counter productive to me if the whole point of the team is getting steals and layups. Up 2 or 22 shouldn’t matter and neither should the clock.

I still love Bob. And hey in the last three KU games he’s saved the tax payers in WV $75,000. What a guy!

RKCKJHK!!!

More
6 years 2 months ago #16481 by NotOstertag
The Prevent you from winning strategy strikes again.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 2 months ago #16483 by NotOstertag
BTW, I kind of like Huggy for getting tossed. 7 seconds left, game's over. Turn your filter off before your final comment to the refs. Doesn't matter, but makes a point. Game was fairly poorly called.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hawknmo

More
6 years 2 months ago #16495 by Hawknmo
“Game was fairly poorly called.”

I hope to shout!!! Like him or not at least Bilas isn’t afraid to call out the officials, even spray tan John. He pointed out quite a few things the guys blew today on both sides. There were some pretty egregious errors and he was right on top of it. Although, he is a Puker, I do respect his opinion on a lot of things. This is one of them.

RKCKJHK!!!

More
6 years 2 months ago #16498 by porthawk
Maybe it was that the refs actually called it correctly this time, i.e. they weren't going to let WVU get away with their usual over-physicality.

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...loss-kansas-jayhawks
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
6 years 2 months ago #16501 by DrJHawker
Exactly!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 2 months ago #16509 by konza63
Give the man some cheese to go with his "whine." In reality, they could've called many more on WVU, because this time they actually began to call out TRUE fouls for all the hand insertions, slaps, and body blows (when WVU was on defense). Not unlike a few years ago in the tourney, when a very strongly seeded WVU got absolutely curb-stomped by Kentucky because the refs simply called the game like they should call it when WVU plays, as opposed to how the refs typically call it in Big 12 conference play.

But more than that, the disparity tonight was due to WVU living beyond the arc all night. They didn't drive nearly as much as we did, and you're not going to get the foul activity when that happens. KU went inside a lot more.

But I'm not going to belabor it. KU came back in a gutsy performance, and the game was well over when Huggins decided to try to make the "narrative" of the KU win all about fouls and refs. He then proceeded to do that in his presser.

Sour grapes. He thought they might have a shot at a title co-share (if the chips fell well) with a win over us tonight. He thought they were going to FINALLY stop KU from pursuing #14 with a legit shot. AND he thought he had pocketed his little $25K bonus check (or is it $50K) for having beaten KU. But it wasn't to be. We fought like hell, came back, and beat their rears. It's as simple as that.

On to OU. I could give two **** about WVU at this point.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16510 by Hawknmo
“beat their rears”

I believe the correct verbage is “we beat their butts again on the play hard chart” and then leave the interview mentioning Fran Fraschilla.

“I could give two ***** about WVU at this point.”

Again, correctly stated you should use the singular form of the noun “@@@@“. As in “I don’t give a **** about North Carolina right now.”

:P :P :P :P

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16511 by HawkErrant
"West Virginia is ranked 333rd in the country in defensive free throw rate. Their whole system is predicated on pressurized, gambling defense. They also jacked up 26 threes. Still led by 10 under 4 mins. But it's the refs' fault."

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 2 months ago #16513 by konza63
Good point, Hawknmo, though I try to avoid directly quoting statements that turn out to be duplicitous or from the mouth of a forked tongue.

(Don't get myself or HawkE started on Dean Smith and hotel rooms in New Orleans) :-)

Keeping it upbeat here, after the big win last night.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant