Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Ochai Agbaji commits to KU

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16296 by HawkErrant
KUSports.com

Nothing new on Rivals #6 Romeo Langford, who has KU in his final 3.

But even with just adding Agbaji, the question being asked is “who else will be leaving?”

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• wardhawk
More
6 years 2 months ago #16297 by wardhawk
I wonder if they may red shirt someone, maybe Lightfoot if none of the other options play out?

Wardhawk

More
6 years 2 months ago #16299 by CorpusJayhawk
A red shirt still counts toward the 13 schollies. Someone would still have to leave. To some degree there is no one on the current team that would be absolutely needed for KU to have a great team next year. Dok would be great to have back. Malik would certainly add quality depth. LaGerald could be a solid senior or a "what could have been". Lightfoot will be hard to keep off the floor with his positive attitude and hustle but we will be deep deep in the frontcourt. I like the idea of redshirting him. Garrett will be valuable and no doubt be capable of 15-20 minutes if needed but with Dotson and Grimes and a two big lineup he could also red shirt. It will be interesting to see who stays, who goes and who redshirts.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #16300 by JhawkMom
He has worked so hard and I love his hustle. I can't imagine getting rid of anyone. But I loved the video of our newest signee, Agbaji. His 3 is sooooo smooth. It will be a long wait thru the summer to wait for the new team to play in November :-( I sure will miss Devonte and Svi but I will learn to live without them same as losing Frank. Life goes on. How many favorites have I lost over the past 20+ years lol I watched Maryland the other night and can't imagine Mark being so old hahahaha

Does anyone think DeSousa will get good enough to compete with the new highly touted freshmen? In the few minutes he has gotten, he looks lost on the floor. Hasn't he had the chance to show what he has to offer and get comfortable by now? I'm disappointed so far.

It will be interesting to see what is in store for next season!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16301 by AZhawk87
Interesting question about DeSousa mom. I too believed that someone that highly rated would be able to at least do something athletic on the floor. Grab a few rebounds at least. He struggles to do anything at this point.

I recall Self saying two years ago that Diallo had lost several weeks of early practice, which would put him too far behind to be of much help. That seemed very odd to me that a few weeks at the beginning of a season would be that meaningful.

But, we're seeing that DeSousa, having missed and entire semester, is really struggling. Transitioning to D-1 level from high school, and learning Self's system, seems like quite a task for even the best players, without summer scrimmages, boot camp and early practices. I'm now more impressed with the work these players put in to perform well at KU.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16302 by big g
hard to predict who will leave but i wld bet on cunlif and vick. as i posted two months ago when the recruiting class seemed clear ( plus the known transfers), i dont think anyone starting this year will start next year. the only potential exception to that i see is doke if he continues to get a LOT better. garret, malik and lightfoot will have a hard time getting minutes as well i think. lots can happen, including injuries of course, but i think we will be stunned by the difference in talent level that we will put on the floor. in an odd way will actually be a challange for hcbs.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16303 by NotOstertag
I think Vick will be gone. He had is issue with punching girls a couple years ago, which (to me anyway) is a sign of a larger issue that isn't easily cured. Now with his regression this year, he and Self might be ready to go their separate ways.

Not sure about Cunliffe. He already lost a year due to transfer rules, so what happens if he transfers again? If anything, he would probably need to graduate and then transfer without worrying about sitting a year as a graduate transfer. If that's the case, Self would probably know about it because he'd have access to his academic standing.

Lightfoot isn't leaving. He bleeds Crimson and Blue. He'd clean the AFH toilets if he thought it would help the team win.

Newman has the same transfer issues as Cuniffe.

One option that they've exercised in the past would be if a kid gave up a scholly and stayed with the team as a walk on.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16304 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: ...One option that they've exercised in the past would be if a kid gave up a scholly and stayed with the team as a walk on.

NotO, we are thinking alike looking ahead. My question for you relates to the referenced comment. I have heard/read about a scholly player who’s folks could afford it agreeing to give up his ride for a year, but I don’t know who that would have been. I do know that Keith Langford paid for his half brother Justin Wesley in years where KU did not have an open scholly for Justin to ride on, but those were the terms Keith agreed to in order to get his sib at KU. Justin came in as a walkon who benefited when Self couldn’t find a kid he wanted over Justin for that final ride. There are no similar situation players on the team today.

I know people have talked (jokingly?) about Roger Morningstar paying Brady’s way if needed for KU to get a top recruit in, but did that ever really happen? I do not recall if it did.

So has there been a case under Self where a kid came as a scholarship player and gave up his ride for another?

Anyone?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 2 months ago #16307 by NotOstertag
The only thing that comes to mind is the opposite case: Christian Moody was a walk-on and was given a scholarship his senior year.

It's gnawing at me because I thought I remember it happening or at least being discussed.

As for who could "afford" it, I can't make any assumptions on that, but if Billy Preston can afford that car, you never know....

(too soon?);)

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 2 months ago #16308 by Bayhawk
Too soon, but funny! ;) :cheer: :)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag