Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Question on Svi and Newman...

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16249 by replayloungehawk
I was thinking, as I watched the game, that maybe Svi and Newman were trying to get Vick going by letting him get some shots. It makes no other sense really why Svi would take so few shots and score one point. He's been on fire lately and I didn't see defense that I thought was shutting him down. I know Newman took some shots and missed but I was just thinking maybe it was Self's plan to try and get Vick back in the mix more. Not sure but wanted to see what others thought?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 2 months ago #16253 by CorpusJayhawk
Svi's performance last night perplexed me. TCU was face guarding him and did a nice job of coming through screens. But the motion was fairly poor and Svi did not drive nearly as aggressively as he has been. Maybe all those missed layups has him spooked.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
6 years 2 months ago #16255 by hairyhawk
There may be some validity to that. I was thinking early in the 2nd half about how Vick just can't buy a break on his shots. They roll around and fall out. Typical of the way things go when you are in a slump. I thought him getting to the line will be an important thing to help get him out of the doldrums. Seeing the ball go through the hoop is good for his mindset.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16256 by AZhawk87
We're getting easier to guard every game. Vick and Garrett require almost no defensive attention, and Newman is shooting so poorly that you almost dare him to shoot. That allows tight D on Svi and Graham. Svi was taken out of the game early, and never climbed back in. Graham had a great game, but I'm waiting for him to run out of gas.

Overall I think we're seeing some tired players in the long slog of the conference season.

I said earlier in the season that Self is responsible for such a depleted roster, but I was intrigued by how he would manage it. He's doing quite well getting the most out of very little.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #16259 by HawkErrant
This team is — as is the case every year — Self’s “responsibility”. However, along with losing surefire contributor Dwight Coleby to graduate transfer for playing time (12 ppg, ~9 rpg in 28 mpg for Western Kentucky this year), he has also had the very bad break of losing his one “OAD caliber” player for the entire season. With Preston and Coleby, this would be a very different team.

The way things have played out, should KU win its 14th straight conference title, he should definitely be Big 12 COY, and I would think the strong favorite for NCOY.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
6 years 2 months ago #16261 by NotOstertag
Well said, HE. Every team gets its share of surprise adversity but we seem to have gotten an extra dose this year.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 2 months ago #16262 by CorpusJayhawk
Good point squire Errant (regarding the loss of Coleby and Preston). This is certainly not the team Self envisioned last year. As for the players wearing down from the long slog of the season I am not sure I entirely buy into that. These are young teems or twenty somethings in tip top shape with world class trainers and all the marvels of modern athletic kinesiology. My close friend is a 30 something (young 30 something) who trains constantly for the triathlon. He is a maniac working a full time job and finds time to train 4 hours per day on top of that and I am talking world class level. He has been doing this for years. He does have the benefit of various dietary advice and commercial kinesiology technology but not to the degree a tier one college athlete has. And he does this day after day after day after day. I am not diminishing the rigors of a D1 college basketball player but if you have the mental fortitude is is not a ridiculously heavy lift to withstand the rigors of a 40 game season. Devonte' gives more effort more consistently than anyone on the team and plays more minutes and yet continues to perform more consistently at a high level than anyone on the team. He has dropped off ever so slightly in my player ratings but that is probably more of a function of the imperfection of my rating system adequately adjusting for SOS. I personally buy into the theory of lack of mental toughness rather than worn down physical bodies. My daughter's friend's husband is a trainer for the OKC Thunder. Several years ago Russell Westbrook had a pretty serious knee injury that required surgery. This guy was telling me about Russell Westbrook's rehab process. It was insane the effort that guy put in. Apparently he is an incredibly focused and mentally disciplined and tough individual. So not everyone is going to be on a par with the NBA MVP but I look around college basketball and it is not hard to spot the players who seem to wither mentally both in trying situations and as the season goes on. Maybe my least favorite Big 12 player ever was Marcus Smart. But the dude was mentally tough. Javon Carter has never struck me as a particularly talented basketball player but he is now borderline NBA prospect because largely of his mental toughness and dedication. Landen Lucas had mediocre or less talent and physical ability but started on a top ranked D1 team on mental toughness. KU has had planty of those guys. Hinrich, Vaughn, Releford, Tyshawn Taylor, Jerod Haase, Rex Walters, and others. I suspect that Vick particularly has taken a bit of a beating having to play in the interior (and I do feel for him since he is definitely not built for that) and he is just gun shy. I certainly understand that but this is not a hobby or a fun pastime. This is D! hoops and he is receiving a very valuable scholarship and world class treatment compared to what most of us had in college. All he has to do is continue to tough it out and give 100%. Then again I may be completely wrong on all of this.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 months ago #16263 by HawkErrant
The only thing I find you in error on, good Corpus, is demoting me to “squire”... and egad, not even the courtesy of “Squire”! I have been a Knight of the Realm for 31 years now, good Sir, and I shall thank Ye to remember it!

:woohoo: :silly: :P B)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 2 months ago #16264 by CorpusJayhawk
I beg your forgiveness good Sir Knight. An egregious oversight to one of the nobles of the Order of the Garter to address you in such common fashion.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 2 months ago #16265 by HawkErrant
LOL!!!

Nobly addressed and nobly forgiven, my good Sir CorpusJayhawk!!! B)