Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Over

• Riverhawk
  • Riverhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #16131 by Riverhawk
This game, and this conference. If you can't win at home, you can't win the conference. Self said 13-5 would win the league. Hard to see how this team gets to 13 wins. Props to Okie State...they played well...but KU played rotten defense for most of this one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #16140 by hairyhawk
Our first shot defense was not that bad but you can't give up all those offensive rebounds and expect to win.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16142 by Hawknmo
Clearly, we were banking on fools gold. We got our butts kicked on the play hard chart. We were not playing with house money. This team was just soft. Live by the 3, die by the 3. Did I get all the cliches in?

3-14 is the number for me. That is Svi and Vick from 3. 21% of anything isn’t very good. They just couldn’t buy a 3 today and it cost us dearly. Mostly due to our lack of blocking out that equaled 11 TOs. I will not argue with anyone who would point out how this could play out in March for this team. This is the recipe. Shoot poorly from 3, lose the 50/50 balls and have one or two opponets play the game of their careers. As I posted elsewhere, the awful shooting was tough, but the out hustling in the first half was just plain bad.

Feel the worst for Doke. Guy played probably his best game. 20/5 is pretty good. But the hustle plays, 2 steals and 4-7 from the FT line was impressive to me. Just a shame he’s the only guy who actually answered his alarm clock.

DG looked sluggish if not almost disinterested in the first half. I know the guy has played an unbelievable amount of minutes this year but it almost appeared he was sure all he had to do was look up at the scoreboard and they would magically be ahead. It just didn’t happen. 8 assists is very good but 2 of his 3 TOs were awful for a senior guard. Not sure what the cure is for whatever his issues are but right now he needs some help.

Svi was as cold as a Ukrainian in February can be I think. Usually I would be harping for someone to throw up the red light but he was really about their only chance today so there wasn’t much else he could do. I did think his D was again pretty good today and his 2 blocks were great. I will agree with the CBS guys though, when you’re down that much and no one else is hitting, if you’re going to drive, forget about the dish. Just finish.

Would never have thought Malik had 16. He did get some solid boards again. But two things stand out to me about his line. First, the one TO he had was awful. 1:30 before half gets the steal and goes all bad Malik on us and tries another 1 on three. No he wasn’t going to tie the game in one possession, but what if we had been 2-3 points closer at the end of the game? Second, in a game where we had to foul to stop the clock and could have used some more toughness, any guesses on how many fouls he had? Bagel. Now I will listen to an argument that maybe he moved his feet better and was in position most of the time. Then I will laugh hysterically in your face, tell you how absurd that argument is and then ask you what game you watched.

Vick was pretty bad today. His unwillingness to block out was awful. These are the times I would trade some possible scoring for some mediocre to decent D from Garrett. No he won’t light up the scoreboard (you have to admit, he can make layups better than most on this team) but I do think he blocks out and tries pretty hard on D. And oh yeah, he doesn’t turn the ball over. Still only has 16 for the season.

Mitch and Silvio were kinda non factors today and might have been “its before noon” casualties I guess. Tough day especially for Mitch to be a no show.

Three losses at home is just so unusual for us as fans. The first two were good tournament teams that I don’t think anyone can argue. This one however is that standard one bad loss (weird that its regularly OSU) that KU always has. If you’re a “gotta win the conference” person, this one might be devastating. I see at least two more losses...at Tech and hate to say it but OU at home. It obviously is going to keep them from being a one seed in March but I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. As bad as I hate to admit it, this particular team has the capability to be the first one to lose to a 16. I’d rather not see my favorite program saddled with that for all eternity. Looking forward to hearing the post game. Should be interesting.

Well hopefully the guys can get some rest and take out some frustration on the Frogs. Off to watch the slavers punch the squidders in the crotch.

RKCKJHK!!!

More
6 years 3 months ago #16146 by hairyhawk
There were a lot of things that did not go well and the shooting numbers speak for them selves. I thought in the end this game came down to how much McGriff dominated Legerald. I think that is a tough matchup for Legerald as he does not really have the size for this match up. We will really need him to do better.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16150 by Farmerhawk
Listened to Selfs post game comments, believe I heard him say DG hasn't practiced much, if any since k-state game, because of a knee issue? Makes sense, As I seen his man turn the corner on him several times enroute to a layup or shot inside. I kept yelling at the tv, c'mon DeVonte, stay with your man, Now, in retrospect, maybe I was being a bit to harsh?

More
6 years 3 months ago #16151 by Hawknmo
First I have heard about the knee. Hopefully he can get some rest before Tuesday.

RKCKJHK!!!

More
6 years 3 months ago #16152 by LSHawk
And Svi has a cold. Not that the team would use injuries or illness as an excuse, but perhaps a wonder that able to have a chance at the end...