Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU coaching history 120 years in the making

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #16091 by HawkErrant
Yeah, it’s the Star, but You’ll enjoy it!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #16092 by HawkErrant
A little extra from my files covering the 120 years of KU Basketball

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
6 years 3 months ago #16094 by NotOstertag
That Naismith guy really didn't accomplish much. Only averaged about 6 wins/year and somehow they kept him for 9 years?!? No way would that guy keep his job today. ;)

Thanks for posting this. Kind of makes you wonder if you're in Self's shoes if you ever have a moment to reflect on the historical significance of the job you hold.

Liked the Bilas comment that NO other program can point to a lineup like ours. I'm far from a basketball historian, but with most of the other blue blood programs, they have 1 or 2 coaches that did the majority of the heavy lifting. Take K away from Duke, or Smith away from UNC, or Knight from Indiana, Wooden from UCLA, or Rupp from Kentucky and suddenly those programs don't stack up so well.

One might argue that Harp and Owens aren't necessarily among the pantheon of historical coaches that are also household names, but aside from that, the Naismith, Allen, Brown, Williams, Self combo is second to none. Also like the fact that we're the ONLY program to have every coach take a team to the final four since the inception of the NCAA Tourney.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #16106 by Wheatstate Gal
Enjoyed it very much.....

I’m Ted Owens era.

WSG