Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

It's your pick: Do you take Svi Mykhailiuk or Billy Preston in the NBA draft?

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16048 by porthawk
Keegan at the LJW posed the question.

And what I noticed (based on the chart in the article listing KU's top 10 three-point shooters of all time) is that both Graham and Svi have a chance to finish their careers in the top 5 of that list. Devonte' is there already and will likely finish at #2 and Svi will, at worst be in 6th place. But if he keeps up the torrid pace he's on, he'll finish in 5th or 4th. The fact that they are the closest of friends on the team makes it a little cooler.

www2.kusports.com/weblogs/keegan-lunch-b...take-svi-mykhailiuk/
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by porthawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #16049 by AZhawk87
Has to be Preston, but not until very late first round or early second round. I would not waste a mid to high pick on him, and never would take Svi first round.

I think Svi is at best a mid second round guy. I don't think he's nearly athletic enough to be a significant contributor in the NBA, but if his shot continues to improve, he could become a Clay Thompson type guy. He could also be a bust, but I think he'll be a solid bench player. I was convinced he'd be a Euro buy before this season. He made great strides this year.

Preston has the sizzle of 6-10, and skilled, but everything Self said about him was that he doesn't have a motor. He seemed very quiet the few times I watched him, and almost spoiled. We now see he's treated like a prima dona star by his mom, which I think makes young players soft. He's essentially been out of basketball for a year (practice just doesn't make up for no games). I wouldn't want the baggage that comes with him, and he didn't blow anyone away at KU (not many glowing reports of his skill and playing ability in scrimmages). His upside is more than Svi, so that's why I'd risk my pick on him, but again not a valuable pick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16050 by NotOstertag
I have no idea about the logic behind some of the kids picked in the NBA, so I'm the wrong guy to ask.

I still think you go with Preston, but it also depends on if I need a shooting guard or a power forward more.

I think the significant thing is draft trajectory.

Svi tested the waters last year and was obviously told that he had some things to work on. Early in the year it didn't look like he'd improved much, but as the season progressed and he stopped waiting in the corner hoping to shoot, and started doing a lot more of everything else (which resulted in more open shots from the corner ;)), his draft stock is going up.

Preston came in as a highly recruited impact player, and almost certain 1-and-done 1st round pick. Not getting to play, and ending his pre-NBA career playing a couple of games in Bosnia (who wants to play in Bosnia?!?), he's not going to get the exposure that kids in the US playing D-1 are going to get. As a result, he'll no doubt slip some spots in the draft as teams pick between "known quantity" kids who they've watched all year vs. a guy who never suited up in college and went and played a handful of games against questionable competition.

If the question is, "who do I like better on a personal level?" then it's Svi all the way. I don't know squat about Billy and do know that either he or someone in his family has questionable decision making ability.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by NotOstertag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk