Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

The end of poke a Dok?

• Hawknmo
  • Hawknmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15975 by Hawknmo
2-5...not great but I’ll take it. Thoughts???

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #15977 by porthawk
I don't think so. I think if the game was a little closer (4-8 point margin) AND coach left Dok in, Weber would've tried that strategy.

I have to say that after Dok missed those first three free throws, I felt really bad for the guy. And I was wondering if he was ever going to make one. Thankfully he hit those last two.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15978 by HawkErrant
Dok'll have to show he can hit under pressure before the rest of the league totally abandons the tactic.

Even so, I doubt that Self will let the team fail again by allowing foes to use it late when Mitch is now day in and day out showing his worth.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• Hawknmo
  • Hawknmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15979 by Hawknmo
Yeah, while the last two wouldn’t be textbook shots, they looked like there was a chance when it left his hand.

RKCKJHK!!!

More
6 years 3 months ago #15981 by newtonhawk
I don't believe it is over, but I definitely saw an effort to improve his form. He really tried to keep his shooting elbow straight up and down, but on the first two attempts, the elbow flew back out like a chicken wing. On the two he made, it appeared as though the elbow stayed in place, little more so. I was en ouraged, not jist with the makes, but with the improved form.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Hawknmo, Wheatstate Gal

More
6 years 3 months ago #15982 by mtnMan
2 for 5 tonight is 40%, matching his yearly average. The aberration was that he missed all 6 late against the Sooners. Remember that Dok has made a couple of key defensive plays late in games that won the games for us. Even if there isn't late game Pok-a-Dok, teams may start challenging him on his shots early in games. Although I doubt most players would want to have any part of that. But early in games if he goes up for a hook shot, he might get pushed. He has to make some FTs and that may be while Self left him in the game against OU.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15986 by Wheatstate Gal
I’m gonna continue to believe.....

Dok’s mom and I will keep the faith.

We need to put a big band around him and when he goes up to the line, he can secure that elbow to keep it from flying out.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15990 by NotOstertag
There's an old saying that if you put 1000 chimpanzees in a room with 1000 typewriters, that EVENTUALLY (through random chance) they'll produce the entire works of William Shakespeare.

That's how I feel about Dok's free throws. If an untrained person randomly throws balls in the direction of a hoop, some of them will go in. I'm guessing that a 40% success rate is attainable by anybody who has the arm strength to get the ball high enough and has at least one working eye.

Not to knock Dok, but his mechanics are awful. That's why you saw him riding pine in the last couple minutes.

Sure, I was glad to see him make a couple, but it honestly reminded me of my little league coaching days when coaches tried like crazy to hit a randomly moving bat so that the kids who couldn't hit could "get a hit".

He needs to keep working on it, but the overhaul that he needs won't happen until the off season it appears.

Fun fact: he's shooting over 75% from the field, but at times struggles to get to 25% of his FTs. If you add those percentages together, he's at (or over) 100%. :D

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 3 months ago #16008 by Farmerhawk
That elbow, was really noticeable on his misses, and then his makes. Looks just like he needs repetition in practice, to be able to improve just a bit?

More
6 years 3 months ago #16013 by NotOstertag
Since HCBS has dismissed the idea that he'll be revamping his form during the season, I think "a little bit" is all we can realistically hope for. If he could even drag himself up to 50% we'd be in better shape. Wondering if shooing them 1-handed would be better for him.

Oh well, I'm sure he'll work on it and I'm sure we'll see some very modest improvement. Unfortunately, with his mechanics, there's a limit to what's possible.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 3 months ago #16014 by CorpusJayhawk
I do not understand the logic of not tweaking his shot now. If his mechanics are fatally flawed (which they seem to be but I am no expert) then why not start today fixing. One might say that the risk is he could get worse before he gets better. That one is hilarious. Worse?? I don’t think so. One might say he may be mentally affected by tinkering with it. Balderdash. These are highly competitive college athletes not snowflakes. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. If is is broke, fix it.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #16018 by NotOstertag
I agree 100%, Corpus, but that's why we're here in the interweb and HCBS has an office in AFH. I don't see the logic either.

Maybe it's as simple as "only so many hours of practice in a week" and we can't spare an extra hour a day for him to work on new mechanics.

But yeah, I don't see how it would any worse. He'd probably do better if he shot his baby hook from the line. The only thing I can guess is that it would be such a futile effort that it's not worth trying.

The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk