Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Lightfoot can't score...

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15959 by NotOstertag
Just glanced at the box score (as Lightfoot draws a charge and hits his head). He's 0-0 for FGs and FTs. Total waste of space on offense, right? Hell no. 3 boards, 3 blocks, a couple of charges, and a ton of hustle. Love that goofy looking kid.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw, KMT, replayloungehawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15960 by NotOstertag
....and KU has 4 blocks total....3 are his.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15961 by NotOstertag
How does he end it? They try to get him the ball in the last possession, the ball winds up on the rim, and who grabs the offensive board?

Yeah, you guessed it. Best zero point game I've seen in a while.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15962 by Hawknmo
Agreed!! Great game by Mitch!

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: replayloungehawk

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15964 by replayloungehawk
totally agree. And I've been pretty critical of him all season but man he's getting a lot better and is learning to "Just make plays!"

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15971 by HawkErrant
... GLUE GUY.

Holding things together doing all the dirty work.

Can't wait to see Corpus' data on him after this game!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15987 by MountainHawk
He set a really nice pick/seal along the blocks for Svi to get the hoop early in the game..
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnMan

More
6 years 3 months ago #15991 by CorpusJayhawk
Player Ratings coming. But the eye test says Lightfoot's defense is on an Embiid like trajectory. He seems to be a smart kid and is learning to play defense very quickly. Plus, his footwork was lightning quick tonight on defense. Best defensive game of the season for the team wire to wire.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #15992 by mtnMan
I agree with all the enthusiasm about Lightfoot. That seal for Svi's drive was a thing of beauty. He had three guys behind him watching Svi's bucket. However, when he first got into the game, he was the one with the lazy bounce pass to Svi that was stolen by Smeed, allowing Svi to make that great come-from-behind block.

We sometimes forget what college basketball is or should be about. Mitch would be happy just being able to practice and sit on the bench in the Kansas uniform. That he gets to play and is playing well is just icing on the cake. By all accounts, he is also a glue guy off the court as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #16006 by Farmerhawk
Yep, love his competitiveness! And I always called him "Opie"! :-)

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #16012 by NotOstertag
I always think of TJ Pugh as a great "glue guy". There have been other glue guys, but TJ is my standard of comparison.

I think Mitch is clearly that guy, and moreover we know we've got him for 2 more years. This year he gets lots of PT because of our depth issues, and we might not see as much of him the next two years as other guys come in the rotation ahead of him. Neverthelss, it's guys like him who seem to get more minutes in the early part of the season because they know what Self wants and his system. The other thing that Mitch will likely do is help those new players learn what HCBS is looking for.

True team player who brings it every night.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16016 by mtnMan
and when the camera pans the bench next year, the guy with the biggest smile will still be Mitch
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 3 months ago #16025 by newtonhawk
I'm not so convinced that Lightfoot will be off the radar screen for next year. Glue guys are so important and I believe Self will utilize him more than we are thinking. He seems to be a grinder and is working himself into the good graces of HCBS. I do admit that it will be difficult to find a spot for him, though.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #16026 by NotOstertag
We haven't had the luxury of playing a 2 big lineup due to our depth. I could see Mitch maybe getting some minutes in that scenario. Who knows, if Hudy drops another 25 pounds of muscle on him in the off season, he might be totally different player.

In the end, if you go 100%, play solid defense, and go hard for loose balls and rebounds, it seems that Self will find something for you to do, even if you're not playing 40 minutes a game.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16045 by porthawk