Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

What a pleasant way to spend a Saturday afternoon

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15888 by murphyslaw
After some heart stressing close games, one of which we lost, it was nice to relax and just enjoy the game! We didn't play perfectly--who does--but I never feared we would lose, and it was great to see the bench step up. Mitch is my hero of the day. Devonte had another rough shooting outing, yet he continues to run the team with expertise. As Newman et al keep up their good work, perhaps Graham will be able to play fewer minutes, and that should help his shooting. Vick approached his old self today, and Garrett took on more responsibility offensively. Loved Svi's smoothies! I thought Dok's technical was a bit ticky-tacky, but things like that could really hurt us down the stretch. Anyway, his slam dunks are always exciting.

All of the above are only the opinions of a dedicated fan who was born to soon to be able to play women's collegiate basketball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #15897 by hairyhawk
Murph, from this fans eyes you are spot on. We need Devonte to find his stroke as he is the key. If all of the guys can keep on improving we can have a very high ceiling. I know all teams feel that way and to a great degree it is so true in NCAA Mens basketball any team can win on any night. I see no reason the stars can't align for this group of Jayhawks.

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15900 by murphyslaw
I'm with you, HH.

BTW, do you think the elevated play of Vick and Garrett, especially, is due to the fact that there's no longer a need to worry and wonder
about Preston? I did hear Bill Self say that their practices were influenced by the supposition of his returning to play.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15902 by hairyhawk
That may be what the difference is. I imagine they would be getting more comfortable with their role. The big question is can they keep it up. I sure hope so and I think they will. They both showed earlier in the season they could be better than what they had been for this stretch. It is a little different for Mr. Vick as he has been around long enough to have had more time to show he can play well. With Mr. Garrett he is just really learning the speed and size of the college game. I was just happy to still have finger nails after a game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15909 by murphyslaw
Me, too!

More
6 years 3 months ago #15937 by NotOstertag
I agree that Dok's technical was ticky-tacky, but the refs will call that almost every time. It's ok to land over a fallen guy like that, but then you move on. Dok stopped and gave the guy a dirty look. They'll call it 'intimidation' and call it. Dok's gotta be smarter than that. There was no "extra" needed after that dunk. It was plenty all on its own.

Nevertheless, totally agree that it was nice not to be stressed out in the stretch. They got it to 10 at one point, which gave me a little jolt, but that was about it.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 3 months ago #15939 by CorpusJayhawk
Dok’s Technical was clearly the right call but I don’t put a big monkey on Dok’s back over it. For those who have been in the heat of competition, it is ohhhhh so easy to let the competitive spirit dominate in the instantaneous heat of the moment play like that. The remedy is discipline and self-control which comes with practice. A 19 or 20 year old can be forgiven as long as it is truly an instantaneous heat of the moment play like that and the transgression is relatively minor. I do, however, heartily condone consequences since that is the salve that helps to develop experience and ultimately discipline.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag