Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Dok's Technical

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15881 by AZhawk87
My number one pet peeve is the flop. I guess it's impossible for the ref's to see it at game speed, so players get away with it so often. But if I was a ref, I would be pissed as heck if a player tried to goat me into a flop foul call.

I think in any sport, but mostly hoops and soccer, there should be retroactive T's for obvious flops, which can be reviewed at timeouts.

Regarding today, I know straddling a guy on the ground is bush league, but I would make a big exception for a flopper. If a guy flops, and the ref sees it as they did today on the Dok play and don't call a foul, and you monster dunk on him while he's on his floppy back. I think you should be able to straddle him for a very short period of time to drive home the panzy-ness of the flop.

I think Dok did his business, then moved on. I would have let him get away with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #15884 by mtnMan
and I thought if Dok hadn't looked down he might have accidentally stepped on him. I would much rather see Dok's glare than the bottom of his shoe on my chest or face.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15885 by AZhawk87
Maybe that's the answer Mountain. Just drop on the guy when you come down. Leave a dirty footprint on his chest - especially a 270 pound footprint. That would leave a mark.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15891 by Hawknmo
Agreed. I guess the answer is to go all Laettner on people. This one may have been on the edge but I thought the other night’s was stupid. Gurley, even said Dok never said a word.

RKCKJHK!!!

More
6 years 3 months ago #15940 by NotOstertag
I did that in an intermural game one time. :dry:

Guy "flopped" trying to get a charge call around half court. I was bringing the ball up the sideline and passed it of right before I got to the guy, who I think went on to play European soccer after he graduated. As I tapdanced around trying not to step on him, I changed my mind and planted my size 13 Converse right on his sternum, pivoted and took off toward the hoop. I ended up grabbing a rebound and suddenly felt some guy jump on my back.

The guy was pleading his case that I started it but the student refs who called our intramural missed the initial incident and he got T'ed up. Meanwhile, me and my teammates were chuckling at the very visible footprint that took up most of his shirt.

I can't say I'm proud of my occasional dirty play......I can't say I'm NOT proud of it either. :D

Hope Dok shows better judgement than me when I was 19.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnMan

More
6 years 3 months ago #15954 by mtnMan
Then again, in the NBA this is how you dunk and then stare at a player on the floor. Joel Embid dunks and flattens Westbrook. Oh, if we could have had a healthy Embid for a little longer.

www.si.com/nba/2018/01/28/joel-embiid-ru...s-thunder-highlights
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant