Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Should Dok adopt the granny shot?

Poll: Should Dok try shooting his free throws underhanded?

Yes please.
11 100%
No.
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 11
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15718 by NotOstertag
KU Sports -- Dok would consider shooting underhand

I've been suggesting this to the TV for a while now. Seems that Keegan asked if he'd consider it and he said yes (a far cry from actually trying it). Seems to me that this method greatly reduces the left/right inaccuracy and the shooter only needs to dial in distance, thereby removing about 50% of the variables.

In any case, I think Dok would benefit greatly from this. So here's the poll: should he our shouldn't he? Particularly interested in reasons behind any "no" votes.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #15719 by Kong
Let's face it, I don't think it could get any worse.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, NotOstertag

More
6 years 3 months ago #15720 by murphyslaw
Although I voted yes, my main wish is that Dok would just breathe deeply and then shoot softly. (And carry a big smile for making it look easy.)

Big guys, like Shaq, seem to have trouble with a soft shot and almost hurl the ball toward the basket.

But, whatever works! I'm sure we all grimace and hold our breath whenever he gets fouled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 3 months ago #15721 by konza63
Yes. And when we bring in Rick Barry for the training, let's get double-bang for the buck by teaching Marcus Garrett the technique as well. I think Doke may have outshot him the other day!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15722 by Bayhawk
Well worth your time, I promise!

For those who love Wilt,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15723 by Wheatstate Gal
Maybe if the style was not referred to as "the Granny shot"?
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 3 months ago #15734 by Freestate69
When Wilt employed it, it was called the Slop Bucket.

"Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the earth." - Gandalf on passing through Columbia, MO

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15739 by NotOstertag
Anybody who wants to call it the "granny shot" to Dok's face (all 7', 280 lbs of him) is probably taking a pretty decent risk of physical harm.

If it results in a high percentage of makes, I'd advise Dok to come back with, "This granny just went from a potential lottery pick by changing over. If you'd like I'll give you a ride in my Lambourgini in a couple years." :)

Success breeds confidence.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15740 by NotOstertag
Here's some math to consider:

Currently, Dok averages 14.5 points. He's 23 of 56 from the line (.411). In conference he's attempted 31 (11 vs. Baylor) and only made 13 for .419. So at least we can say that he's consistent....consistently bad.

Here's how that converts if he could get to 60% or 70%.

At 60%, taking an average of 4.4 attempts per game he'd be adding making 2.6 points per game (vs. 1.8 now) for an increase of almost 1 point per game. Not bad for going from "bad" to "mediocre".

If he could get to 70%, he'd jump to 3 points per game, or 1.2 points.

More significantly, Self could leave him in during late-game situations where the opponent is looking to foul which would help us defensively in those late game situations without running any major offensive risks.

I'd just love to see him do it and get good at it. Let people make fun of you if you're automatic from the line. I really do believe that it would only take 1 or 2 high profile guys to find success with that method to make it widespread.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15745 by Farmerhawk
At the very least, I bet he could improve to 50%. If he can flick his wrists, he surely has to have more touch than being so powerful with the over hand shot.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15748 by NotOstertag
50% should be easy. There are plenty of videos on how it's done (including the one on Bay's link).

If you look at what many big men have issues with it seems to come down to the following:
>Big hands. Can cause the ball to go off to the side, and gets inconsistent backspin.
>High release. Leads to a flatter trajectory which is more likely to skip over the rim rather than drop in.

The "Berry Style" (is that nicer?) shot solves those issues.
>The ball is released from both hands on opposite sides of the ball. As long as the arms move together and the release is fairly simultaneous, the ball will go straighter...no chance of it flipping off one side or the other of a single-shooting hand.
>Consistent backspin: can dial it in and keep it relatively consistent.
>Better trajectory: lower release results in higher arc, which leads to a more downward trajectory on the way down.

I really wish he'd try it. It takes so much uncertainty out of the shot and by reducing what can go wrong, more will end up going right. 50% would be EASILY attainable, IMHO.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15749 by HawkErrant
Given that Rick Barry was the most famous — and most successful, TTBOMK — user and advocate of the technique, I think it’s a great name for it, NotO!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15750 by Wheatstate Gal
Lest Dok worry about the guffaws coming from the adversarial stands if he employs the "Barry Style"; remember:

He who laughs last, laughs best!

Let 'er RIP, Dok!!!! We believe, Buddy!

WSG

More
6 years 3 months ago #15779 by Bayhawk
It got worse . . .

-- Jules Michelet

More
6 years 3 months ago #15794 by Hawknmo
After tonight it is clear something....really anything needs to change. 14% is awful.

RKCKJHK!!!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 3 months ago #15809 by konza63
UGH... :-(

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15819 by NotOstertag
....and it's going to happen again and again in close games unless/until Self puts him on the bench, or (preferably) he gets competent from the line.

Hell, at this point, if you don't want the Barry method, try 'em lefty....put up a 15' hook shot..ANYTHING.

I feel bad for the kid.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15821 by Bayhawk
At this point I'm thinking of the "pin the tail on the donkey" technique where we blindfold Udunkie and a team mate points him toward the basket . . .

On a different topic, do the students behind the goal post continue you to make distracting movements and gestures when Doke is on the line, or do they hold still trying to suppress their laughter knowing the ball is not going in?

RC

-- Jules Michelet