Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Whether to be furious or sick at the hypocrisy, that is the question

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15585 by HawkErrant
ESPN.com -- NCAA president: 'Meaningful change' to come before tipoff of '18

"Scandals that call into question our commitment to academic integrity make whatever praise we have of our highest graduation rates ring pretty hollow," Emmert said in his address on the state of college sports at the NCAA convention. "And we have to recognize that we can't dance around those things. We can't make excuses for them." - NCAA president Mark Emmert

How he can say this with a straight face after the UNC decision is beyond my comprehension.
How anyone of moral integrity can believe a word the man and his cronies utters or writes after the UNC decision also escapes me.

What a sorry time we live in, that such people have sway in the corridors of power.

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...ption-men-basketball

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #15588 by NotOstertag
I believe that the NCAA believes that they'll ramp up their (selective) enforcement efforts to clean up the game (except in places that are exempt from scrutiny).

The UNC thing was kind of my final straw with the NCAA. Prior to that always thought that their motives were fairly pure: rake in a bunch of money while creating and trying to enforce rules governing college athletics. I was never under any illusion that the NCAA wasn't a huge boondoggle that made a few people very rich off of the popularity of college football and basketball. I kind of looked at them as the benevolent mafia goon who you paid protection money to, but who kept trouble from popping up in the neighborhood. But just like that situation, eventually something happens that shows that the veneer of calm is covering up some really messed up stuff.

I think UNC got lucky, played things smart, and used its influence to get favorable treatment it didn't deserve. They were smart in using delay tactics to prolong the investigation to where I think the NCAA ran out of gas chasing them. I also think that UNC used leverage (blackmail) to help the process by openly discussing leaving the NCAA and starting a conversation that could have led to many top programs deciding to reorganize. That scared the NCAA in to backing off. Finally, the FBI investigation around the Adidas scandal was a lucky break for UNC. It gave everyone a NEW distraction and put the spotlight elsewhere.

After reading the article, the whole thing just rings hollow. They're going toughen up? Sure they are. Except in cases where they want to cut somebody a break like UNC. What was REALLY disappointing to me, however, was that Condoleeza Rice was appointed to head up the commission. I have a ton of respect for her and if this process turns out to be as hollow as I expect it to be, I'll be bummed that she was a party to it. Even if they do institute meaningful change, the fact that UNC walked away unpunished, or that guys like Calipari continue to coach will continue to be glaring examples of NCAA ineptitude.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 3 months ago #15589 by CorpusJayhawk
The UNC thing being flicked because of some technicality it the enforcement terms reminds me of that murderer in San Francisco who killed a couple people with a concrete block and was convicted. Later the appeals court overturned the conviction on the technicality that his Miranda rights were not fully administered. I suppose it is the price we pay for rigorously adhering to the rule of law through thick and thin but it is clearly the most salient evidence of the imperfection in the system. I suppose UNC got off not due to corruption (although I would not be surprised if some showed up at a future date) but due to the nuances of the letter of the law. It may be “right” in the sense that the law was administered rigorously but IMHO it is not “right” in the true moral sense. Clearly UNC did things that violated blatantly the spirit of the rules while somehow managing to hide behind the letter of the rules. Kind of a microcosm of life in general. It’s a good system but far from a perfect one.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
6 years 3 months ago #15605 by hoshi
Corpus, I am with you on this one. I think the NCAA found out that their rules did not cover what went on at UNC and are now looking at whether there should be language in their rules that cover the issue uncovered at UNC. The behavior was clearly egregious.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15611 by konza63
Re: UNC and them getting off scot-free, 4 words come to mind:

Too Big To Fail

Like the biggest banks or corporations that can get away with murder and still be bailed out by the political class (who they donate to in droves...hmmm, see the vicious cycle?), UNC got away with the equivalent of murder - academic cheating to benefit their athletic program on a scale seldom seen before - because they are UNC.

It's really that simple, regardless of all the tactical details associated with how it went down.

Hypocrisy on steroids...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk