Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

ESPN story re OU

• JRhawk
  • JRhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #15522 by JRhawk
Read this yesterday afternoon, but thought it might be wishful thinking. After watching KSU soundly beat OU, think the guy is on to something. Trae Young looked pedestrian at best.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22121874/trae-young-great-oklahoma-sooners-already-peaked
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, Hawknmo, replayloungehawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 2 months ago #15531 by Hawknmo
Nice find JR. I too find it interesting to see what “one man” teams do on nights like last night. The thing with this guy is, I’m not sure he will ever have another college game like that. Unfair comparison I know, but how many games did Curry or Durant have like that? Not many I’m sure. So while it’s a fact that as Young goes, so goes OU, his “off” nights are few and far between. I am not sure they are a one seed but I can see them doing very well in KC and the rest of March.

RKCKJHK!!!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 2 months ago #15539 by HawkErrant
I will preface this by saying that I really would have loved it if Self could have lured him to Lawrence out of Norman. A great kid who would be doing very well with KU this year (and perhaps KU would be undefeated, but we will never know ).

Having said that, since B12 play began the lad has still been a star, but he has slipped a notch or two -- which, to be fair, is to be expected in most circumstances, especially with freshmen.

And before we accurately note that he probably won't have many games like the one he had against KState, we should also note that his best conference game of the season came just before this last worst one -- he shone against TCU in Norman last Saturday. (Two of his top 3 scoring games of the season have come at TCU (39) and against them in Norman (43), matching his season high first hit earlier against Oregon in the pre-conference schedule -- but he won't see TCU again until the postseason, if then).

Here's a quick look at how he's fared, pre-conference versus conference.

TRAE YOUNG through KSU game
STAT	B4B12	B12	DELTA	TREND
PPG	28.7	30.8	7.3%	Pos
APG	10.4	8.7	-16.4%	Neg
TO	3.8	7.7	100.8%	Neg
FGA/G	18.0	22.2	23.1%	*
FGM/G	8.7	9.0	3.1%	* Neg
2PA/G	8.3	10.5	26.9%	*
2PM/G	4.7	4.7	-1.3%	* Neg
3PA/G	9.7	11.7	19.9%	*
3PM/G	4.0	4.3	8.3%	* Neg
2P%	57.1%	44.4%	-22.2%	Neg
3P%	41.1%	37.1%	-9.7%	Neg

*Must evaluate changes in Attempts against changes in Makes to see if TREND is positive or negative.

Bottom line is his assists are down ( almost two per game, roughly 5 points) while he is scoring 2 more points per game (again, see TCU games), but he is scoring more by making more attempts at a significantly lower shooting percentage. And he is turning the ball over twice as often as he had been before conference play started, almost 8 times per game!. Even before his 12 TOs against KSU, he was averaging almost 7 (6.8 ) TOs in conference play. His low was 4 against TT, but he has had at least 6 in every other B12 game.

More on his shooting more but enjoying it less -- see especially his drop in effectiveness inside the arc. He's just not been finishing as well inside, He has been getting to the line 2.5 more times per game (11-8.5), but it seems he is so beat (beat up?) that he is only scoring an additional 1.2 points per game (8.5-7.3) from the stripe.(this from an 82% FT shooter for the season).

So, against teams not named TCU, OU is 2-2 in conference, and no more TCU games left on their schedule.

And yes, I think the Kitties showed the conference how to beat OU. Cut off the head off the snake and force the rest of it to beat you.

KU can win in Norman!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"