Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

JoJo White dead of cancer @71

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15497 by HawkErrant
www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/celt...r_battle_with_cancer

Another chapter of KU hoops has closed forever, left only to be held bright in memory for us and our children and theirs.

Farewell, JoJo.

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk...:(

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, boulderhawk, jayhawk969, Hawknmo, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #15501 by Hawknmo
Peace JoJo.

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, jaythawk1

More
6 years 3 months ago #15502 by LKF_HAWK
RIP good sir. Thanks for making taking time to say Rock Chalk Jayhawk to a young kid who got to meet you at a Celtics game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

More
6 years 3 months ago #15504 by newtonhawk
One of my earlies memories of following KU basketball as a young boy was to attend a game with my dad, sitting maybe 10-12 rows up from midcourt and Jo Jo was one of the beloved Jayhawks on the floor. I wish I could tell you something momentous from the game, or even who they were playing, but his name and his game sold me as a Jayhawk fan for life.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15505 by Riverhawk
A classy man, and smooth as silk on the court. If there would ever be a Mount Rushmore of KU basketball, JoJo would have to be included. And that '66 team that lost to Texas Western may have been the best KU squad ever. I still don't believe he stepped out of bounds on that shot, and yes, I've seen the pictures. His heel is ABOVE the line and the ref is looking head high, not at his feet. Anyway, when I had the distinct pleasure of meeting him at the Phog a few years ago, his eyes flashed as he told me, " I did NOT step on the line!" I don't care what history says. I believe my boyhood idol.
RIP JoJo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15507 by HawkErrant

Riverhawk wrote: A classy man, and smooth as silk on the court. If there would ever be a Mount Rushmore of KU basketball, JoJo would have to be included. And that '66 team that lost to Texas Western may have been the best KU squad ever. I still don't believe he stepped out of bounds on that shot, and yes, I've seen the pictures. His heel is ABOVE the line and the ref is looking head high, not at his feet. Anyway, when I had the distinct pleasure of meeting him at the Phog a few years ago, his eyes flashed as he told me, " I did NOT step on the line!" I don't care what history says. I believe my boyhood idol.
RIP JoJo.

I have read elsewhere with the news of his passing that JoJo had at one time possessed a video of the UTEP game that showed he did not step on the line. Would love to have a look at that if it still exists. >sigh<

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, newtonhawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #15509 by Socalhawk
I was at Ted Qwens basketball camp ( Sam Miranda, Gale Catlett) summer 1969 in the Lawrence High gym. Coach Owen called us all together and said he had a surprise. In walked JoJo wearing a US Olympic Team T-shirt. We all gathered around the lane, he was at the top of the key. There was not a sound in the gym except the ball ripping the net and the ball being bouncing back to JoJo. He made 22 or 23 in a row. I can still see it today. For the rest of the afternoon many shots were launched from the top of key, regardless of what drill was being run.
RIP JoJo
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, newtonhawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 3 months ago #15510 by konza63
Very sad news... :(

The flock sings a sorrowful song tonight.

Soar yet again in the heavens, JoJo, and thank you for the memories! (KU and the Celtics)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15519 by mtnMan
My years at Kansas overlapped with Jo Jo’s. I saw every home came he played at Kansas. Never once saw him rattled. If you want to know what I think, check my avatar photo here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, newtonhawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #15524 by NotOstertag
JoJo played before my time, but his career speaks for itself. Great college player and pro, Olympic gold medalist, Hall of Fame.

RIP JoJo.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

More
6 years 3 months ago #15528 by jayhawk969
What Mountain Man said: In JoJo's class. What fond memories, and yes he went way too soon. I was spoiled seeing him play, Can't remember missing a game while I was there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk