Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

What a swell bunch of student athletes!

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15434 by Wheatstate Gal
I like to look at the game photos on the JW website.

Looks like there was a little kerfuffle in the handshake line after the game by the WV big guy.....perhaps only an exchange of pleasantries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15442 by HawkErrant
And perhaps he and the WVU players need an attitude adjustment that can best be facilitated by losing some more so that they can learn how to be good sports. He was certainly mugging for the audience when he was blocking 5 shots in the first half. How many blocks did he get in H2? Yep, 0, because our guys finally figured out to play team ball against him.

Made me smile to see him unhappy, especially after starting forward Harris didn’t get suspended for at least a game after hitting that TT fan after they lost in Lubbock Saturday.

If that makes me a bad person, so be it. As Konza might say, karma is a bitch.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 3 months ago #15444 by konza63
I still can't believe that, after obvious taunting and trash talking early on by WVU (in an effort to intimidate KU), the refs called that T on Doke! That was UTTERLY RIDICULOUS. And arguably a major momentum-setter for WVA.

At they point, with the usual WVU clawing and streetfighting being enabled by the officials, I thought the odds were stacked horribly against us. Luckily, over time the officiating began to even out a bit. But the T on Doke (and the phantom foul that took him out of the game) were super questionable.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 3 months ago #15463 by NotOstertag
The T was bad, but one could argue that the one on the KSU guy in the previous game was just as questionable.

Of course, on TV you can't hear what these guys might be muttering at the refs, so generally I'll assume that somebody said something they shouldn't have and that was the call. In any case, act like you've been there before, Dok. You dunk on people all the time...it ain't no thing.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 3 months ago #15464 by konza63
Easy to say from the comforts of one's computer, but when you're being taunted and jawed at on every major play (by WVU), I have zero problem with Doke exhibiting some emotion after a counter-punch. And Self was visibly very upset over the call.

I think Bilas was right; should've been a no-call, especially in light of what WVU had been dishing out to us prior to the play.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15467 by NotOstertag
I'm just saying that we benefited from an equally sketchy T in the K-State game. If you agree that the K-State technical was ticky-tacky then I think we agree. I highly doubt our student section was encouraging KSU to have a good game.

My only point is that you can show emotion and fire up the team without directing your passion into a taunt or comment to the ref.

I do think the WVU center could have been equally sited for "taunting" but you ain't never gonna get that call in your own gym. I do think Huggie told him to tone it down as well.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
6 years 3 months ago #15471 by rainyhawk
Didn't get to watch the game but watched the later replay at the end. How was Bilas? I usually like him better than most. At the end he was really giving KU kudos for its comeback--a few times mentioned how awesome it was to see and how much it took to keep coming back and ultimately winning the game. Credited DG with the momentum swing that gave us the win. Nice to hear.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15472 by NotOstertag
Bilas was pretty good (as usual, imho). He's critical where he needs to be and where teams deserve it.

He was knocking KU for allowing WVU to get them out of their game, but was correctly pointing out DG and Svi for turning the tides while being critical of WVU for allowing open shots.

He thought Dok's technical was BS (I agree).

He also mentioned the court storming thing and essentially said that it shouldn't happen, and that the Big 12 should enforce its own rule against it. Whether you agree with that comment or not, kudos to him for being a straight shooter and voicing an opinion.

In a semi-related news, the WVU AD made comments before the game yesterday essentially saying that the WVU hoops program is now at a level where they should expect home wins and where court storming should be unnecessary of a program of their caliber. Obviously they didn't have an opportunity last night, but it would have been interesting to see if anybody would have done so.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15473 by CorpusJayhawk
When was the last time the Allen Fieldhouse court was stormed after a game? I assume it has probably happened but I cannot recall it happening.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
6 years 3 months ago #15474 by CorpusJayhawk
Just googled and according to the blog I found, Allen Fieldhouse court has been stormed twice. Once after a win against Missouri in March 1973. The only other time was January 27, 2003 against Texas. Apparently only about 50 fans actually made it onto the court. I have obviously purged that sordid spectacle from my memory. I am somewhat ambivalent to court storming but I view it as beneath Kansas fans (far far far far far far far far far beneath). In fact, I loath the “overrated” cheer as well. I am still proud of the class the Allen Fieldhouse fans showed to Buddy Hield. I am also proud of the orderly way the fans exited AFH after a 19 point comeback defeat of Missouri in the final game of that storied rivalry. If ever there was a moment to storm the court that would have been it but in no way is there ever a proper time to storm the court other than for 16,300 fans who go to AFH to watch a video of the Jayhawks winning a National Championship. Then I say storm everything in Lawrence including the court.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15484 by HawkErrant
"Overrated" is a pet peeve of mine as well. It's frankly a stupid chant that actually demeans the chanters' team. As a fan I *want* to be able to say my team beat that great team, not that my team beat a team that did not deserve its reputation.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #15508 by wchawk
April 7, 2008 was the last court storming in the Fieldhouse. And it should be the only time a court storming should be allowed. (I'm assuming we'll never play a National Championship game there.) But hey, let's do it again!