Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Jayhawks--fittest team In college basketball

• mtnMan
  • mtnMan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15428 by mtnMan
It was WVU players who wore down, not the Jayhawks, who seemed fresh, almost eager to go another 5 mins in OT. Graham is unbelievable. He got better at end as others tired. And while we might question some of Malik's drives and lament his 3-pt percentage, he was incredibly active late on defense with several deflections and rebounds. And Vick was everywhere. and Svi finally got open and started draining shots as if he were fresh as a daisy. Amazing fitness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15429 by porthawk
Yup. Totally thought of that, mtmMan. And Graham played all 40 minutes! After all the talk of the short rotation and the many minutes logged by the core players leading to fatigue, they really showed great stamina as the game wore on. Now they have to bottle up the lock-down D they displayed in those last 10 minutes and keep it up moving forward!
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by porthawk.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15430 by konza63
Agreed. Even Doke, who looked a bit worn down in the first half after trying to out-wrestle the WVU big, later brought a lot of energy and fight.

I think that, along with their fitness, being absolutely lit up by Self as a bunch of soft pansies in the locker room at halftime (and you KNOW that happened) fueled an extra gear in the lads.

Quite a sight to see! :-)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnMan

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15432 by HawkErrant

konza63 wrote: Agreed. Even Doke, who looked a bit worn down in the first half after trying to out-wrestle the WVU big, later brought a lot of energy and fight.

I think that, along with their fitness, being absolutely lit up by Self as a bunch of soft pansies in the locker room at halftime (and you KNOW that happened) fueled an extra gear in the lads.

Quite a sight to see! :-)

Which is why he’s the great coach and I’m just an armchair guy.

But I would love to see him light those fires at the start of the game. I’m getting too old for this stuff.
:woohoo:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, murphyslaw, mtnMan

More
6 years 3 months ago #15441 by murphyslaw
Hudy for President! (Or at least give her a well-deserved raise!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, mtnMan

More
6 years 3 months ago #15462 by NotOstertag
Let's also not forget that WVU's two best players were playing with 4 fouls. Yes, we're fit, but Konate and Carter each had 4 fouls on them. Konate got his with 5:30 left (KU down by 6), and Carter got his with 7:56 left (KU down by 7). Carter is probably their best defender.

By comparison, Dok only played 20 minutes due to his foul trouble (Konate and Carter both played over 30).

Yes, these guys are in shape, but to me, Carter picking up his 4th (he sat for a while, didn't he?) helped Devonte and Svi shift the momentum. Once that was done, WVU were on their heels and never recovered.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant