Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

De Sousa

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15419 by DrJHawker
Had a meeting tonight and caught only the last 5 minutes - apparently the best 5 minutes. What a huge and badly needed win for the Hawks.

Not sure when or if I'll have time to watch the DVR and was wondering how De Sousa looked. 1-1 FG, 3 rebounds and no TO's in 7 minutes sounds solid. Looked lost the first game, must have looked much better tonight. Thoughts?

Mitch made a big play at the end. Love that kid and so glad for quality minutes he provides.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15422 by HawkErrant
Silvio is still getting up to speed, but he played some good D and scored on an impressively sweet post move. He is going to be huge come Feb and beyond.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk, mtnMan, DrJHawker

More
6 years 3 months ago #15423 by newtonhawk
In my opinion, don't waste your time with the first 30 minutes of the game. You will get frustrated. The final 10 minutes were the best.

Silvio looked better ... still needs work and Self still didn't use him in the 2nd half. He had some better sequences and made a nice move to get his bucket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, mtnMan, DrJHawker

• DrJHawker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15425 by DrJHawker
Thanks for the tip. You confirmed what I was thinking. I'll plan to watch the last 10 minutes. When KU isn't playing well, watching them against the Mountaineers is horribly frustrating.

• DrJHawker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15439 by DrJHawker
I'd actually started watching at 3:43 and it wasn't really worth watching until the 6 minute mark but that 6 minutes was sweet with the Graham steal, giving Carter a fourth foul and De Vonte a 2 and 1. The the two 3's but Svi and the one 3 by Graham got us right back into the game. Really fun to watch. Great win!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15445 by HawkErrant

DrJHawker wrote: I'd actually started watching at 3:43 and it wasn't really worth watching until the 6 minute mark but that 6 minutes was sweet with the Graham steal, giving Carter a fourth foul and De Vonte a 2 and 1. The the two 3's but Svi and the one 3 by Graham got us right back into the game. Really fun to watch. Great win!

It was even more fun to watch after having seen the first half. Still pinching myself two hours later. We finally won in Morgantown again!

Now to keep that mental toughness and tenacious D we showed in H2 for the rest of the run.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #15450 by porthawk

Now to keep that mental toughness and tenacious D we showed in H2 for the rest of the run.

Absolutely HE! We're now 5-1 and in first place in the conference exactly a third of the way through league play. That's HUGE, but there's a lot of bball left to be played. Hopefully we build on the mental toughness and great D you mentioned...which would translate to us coming out strong against Baylor on Saturday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 3 months ago #15465 by NotOstertag
One thing I've noticed is that DeSousa tends to hang on to his guy when he's defending him, and it looks to me that in both games, the refs have warned him about it. The guy is still learning. He'll do fine, but he's not there yet.

I was actually pleased in both games to see the refs "coaching" him rather than just immediately blowing the whistle.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15491 by newtonhawk
Yeah. I told you to start watching a little earlier so that you could get a feel of the hole from whence we dug out. :woohoo:
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by newtonhawk.

• DrJHawker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15493 by DrJHawker
It was a serious hole and an exciting comeback. 3 pointers are an amazing comeback tool.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15499 by Hawknmo
I too thought in the few minutes he played De Sousa looked good. Obviously its not up to me how much PT the guy gets but he looked as athletic and under control as Mitch. I for one think Mitch is a huge part of this team and could use a few more minutes himself but I am not at practice and I dont get paid HCBS’s salary. It just seems that getting both of these guys some more time now could provide big benefits later. I realize how big this game was and how much HCBS and this team want to win, but when called on theae guys keep stepping up. I think its a shame they only see the floor when Doke is in foul trouble. Regardless, glad to finally have Silvio finally playing.

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, DrJHawker